Chapter 32: Day 3?

Hunter POV

'What happened?'I groaned,as I struggled to open my eyes.

The pain hit me like a tidal wave, engulfing my entire body. My hand throbbed with searing agony, the blade still embedded in my flesh. It was a sensation all too familiar to me.

"Did I pass out again?" I wondered, my mind spinning with confusion and disorientation. How long had I been unconscious this time? I cursed myself for blacking out when my queen needed me the most. It was a rude and inexcusable display on my part.

As I slowly regained focus, I became aware of the presence of someone standing near me. I mustered the strength to lift my gaze and found one of the men who had been assigned to patrol us. His presence signaled that I was still in captivity.

Beside him, I noticed Amanda, asleep and leaning against a pillar. Relief washed over me, knowing that at least she hadn't suffered any harm while I was incapacitated.

"Don't worry, he didn't touch her. When you passed out, he simply left," the man informed me, as if responding to the unspoken question in my eyes.

Despite the pain coursing through my body, I mustered the strength to speak, my voice strained and weary.

"What do you want? You sent your friends away just so you could stand here and stare at me?" I asked, my gaze shifting to the absence of the other guards. Only two individuals remained, likely the man's most trusted allies.

His face contorted with a mix of annoyance and urgency. In a rough manner, he grabbed a fistful of my hair, forcing me to meet his gaze. "I don't have time to waste either. Tell me, who is the spy? Who is this Samaritan that you believe will come to your aid?" he demanded, his voice filled with impatience and a hint of desperation.

I took a deep breath, wincing at the pain that shot through my body with every inhalation. Whoever had orchestrated this elaborate plan was meticulous and detail-oriented. I had to give them credit for the level of thought put into every aspect.

"The spy? Oh, you're referring to what I mentioned to her. I didn't realize you were eavesdropping. How rude," I mocked, trying to inject a hint of defiance into my weakened voice.

His grip on my hair tightened, his impatience evident. "I don't have time for games. Just tell me who he is," he demanded, his tone bordering on desperation.

When I remained silent, he lashed out and punched me, the force of the blow adding to my pain. It was clear that he was running out of patience, seeking answers by any means necessary.

"He was just joking, I told you. We've been here every day since he arrived, and no one has attempted to contact him. It was merely wishful thinking," someone else interjected, coming to my defense.

I stared at the man, my eyes narrowed in disbelief. This turn of events was unexpected. It seemed my words had struck a nerve, but not in the way I had intended.

"No, that's not it. There is a traitor among us. He genuinely believes what he said. He hasn't wavered, which is why he hasn't begged for his life or that woman's life. This isn't the face of a man bluffing," Max explained, pushing my face away roughly.

Speaking was becoming increasingly difficult due to the pain, so I took slow, careful breaths to steady myself.

"Sir..." one of his companions called, trying to redirect his attention.