Chapter Seventy-Five

I take a deep breath, looking out at the streets.
The rain starting to clear up with only a light drizzling.

"You'll be fine." Duke Oslo calls out.
I turn to look at him.
"I know you want to pass the first try, but if you don't, it's not the end of the world. You have more afterwards if you fail. Don't be too hung up on the first one." He smiles reassuringly.
I nod and take a deep breath, relaxing my nerves.
We sit in a carriage as I wear commoners clothing to not stand out. A brown overall skirt with an off-the-shoulder frilled white blouse, and my cloak. I read the notes in my hand as I review quickly.

"We're here, your grace."
The coachman calls out.
"Ready?" Duke Olso stands, holding his hand out to me.
"Yes... I'm ready." I smile, placing my hand on his.
He steps out first, helping me out after.
I stare astonished at the buildings. The light rain, glistening on the bronze and gold buildings.
In the centre of the district stands a gold dragon statue, wrapped around a gold sword.
"You've never been to the high district, have you?" Duke Oslo chuckles, watching my expression.
"Er, is it that obvious?" I look away, covering my face with my pouch from embarrassment.
"Yes, but it's cute how happy you seem. This is the high district. There's plenty of cafe's you can go to afterwards. I'll come back to get you in three hours." Duke Oslo smiles, handing me an envelope, "Give this to the examiner, and then they'll bring you to a lounge to write the exam."
"Thank you... Are you sure I should do this?"
"Of course! You've been studying nonstop for the past week, I know you can do it. Do you want to do it?"
I pause, unsure.
"Yes and no..."
"Why no?"
"I'm scared. It's liberating to do this, but I'm scared because I know this will widen the distance between..." I trail off.
"I know... You can't be discouraged over something like that though. I promise it'll be okay. Take the test, if you pass and realize you don't want this, you don't have to do it."
"Yes... You're right. I'll see you soon!" I smile kindly as Duke Oslo waves goodbye.
I wave back, turning to walk up the steps to the grand building.

"Application?"
A woman dressed in a white uniform asks.
I hand her the envelope and my identification papers. She looks up at me and back down at the papers.
"Okay, proceed down the hall to the green room." She hands back my papers, writing my name down.

I walk down the halls, steeling my nerves as I stare at all the people in different rooms writing the exams.
I approach the green room, a glass room with multiple balconies beside the glass, surrounded by plants.
"Wow..." I mumble, amazed.

"Hello, please come with me."
A man comes up, gesturing his hand for me to follow.
He sits me down at the top balcony. I stare outside the window to see the empire, glistening.
The man places a book in front of me along with a booklet.
"You'll have three hours starting from now to complete the exam. We can not help or give any advice, it'll lead to an automatic fail if you speak to one of the helpers, or anyone else." The man quickly gives the explanation.
"Yes, thank you."
He leaves swiftly, starting a timer on the table.
I quickly open the book and booklet, working through them.
"This..." I whisper.
I stare at the questions regarding Xiao and the sewage systems, as well as other topics I've read in books from the palace. The questions barely relating to the textbooks I've studied.
I shrug ignoring my confusion, writing the answers out quickly.

I close the booklet, looking around for someone.
The man from before comes up, staring at the timer.
"Are you finished?" He asks.
"Yes... Should I wait here until the timer goes off?"
"No, you may leave. We'll send a letter about your results in a few weeks."
"Okay, thank you." I stand curtsying.
I stare at the timer with two hours left on the clock before leaving.

I enter a cafe, keeping my hood up as I notice the bustling dining room with noble ladies dressed in jewels.

"Goodness. Who would think they'd allow a commoner here."
A lady whispers to her friend.
I look as they stare at me, whispering behind their fans.
"What a disgrace. She should just crawl back to the lower district." A lady whispers back, snickering.
I approach the waiters stand, ignoring their mockery.