Chapter Thirty-Nine

Cethin lounges on the roof.
Grinning to himself amused, he gazes at the stars that shine brightly.

Thinking about speaking with Luna, his thoughts focused on her eyes.
Her eyes glowing ever so slightly under the moonlight, but noticeable enough for Cethin to catch it.
"Those eyes... That soul of hers... This is gonna be fun." Cethin snickers to himself.
Raising his hand up to the stars, he reaches out as if trying to catch a star. The star glimmering above, resembling the twinkle in her eyes.

"Stretch properly! Don't dilly dally, you'll be sore if you neglect this. Do it every morning and night, even in the middle of the day." Eli scolds Luna as she sits on the ground stretching.
Cethin sits to the side, watching as Eli trains Luna.

Tying his dark blonde hair back, Eli attentively analyzes Luna's posture. Using the grassy field in the royal palace's garden, the sun shines brightly onto them. A gentle spring breeze making it cool to train in, Cethin basks in the sun as he waits.

"I haven't done this before! I'm trying my best, okay?" Luna pouts, struggling to reach her toes.
Wearing a woman's training uniform—beige pants, a tucked in white tunic, and laced brown boots—Eli uses a rod to point to where she needs to adjust her posture.

"We're never going to get to train, if you can't even do simple stretches." Eli sighs, exasperated.
"You're rushing me too much, I'm trying to learn!"
Luna finishes her stretches, after bickering back and forth with Eli.

Eli jumps into a fighting stance, beginning to teach basic combat.
"We don't generally need to do hand to hand combat because... Well, in our line of duty we kill them without being noticed, but you can't do that. We'll focus on what to do if you're attacked. First you should learn to punch."
"This seems too bizarre." Luna sighs, clenching her fists to copy his pose.
"Listen, I don't even think you have what it takes, but we have orders to teach you. I'll go through this slowly."

After spending hours training, Eli swiftly blows through the lesson.
Luna lies in the grass out of breath as she rests her forearm over her eyes.
"My arms have no strength. What good would it be if I tried punching someone?" Luna groans, exasperated.
"It's better than not being prepared at all. Even if you're arms are too weak to harm someone, you have other resources like weapons to protect you. You just need to strengthen your arms to have all advantages to protect yourself."

"Lady Luna, is training going well?" Lance calls out, holding a tray as he approaches them.
"Sadly, no." Luna sighs again, "My arms are weak, and Eli's an... 'Okay' instructor."
"Hey, I'm a great one. You just don't listen to me!" Eli pettily speaks.
"I do listen,  but I told you it's hard for me! It's probably easy for you, because you've been doing it for so long." Luna scoffs, turning away from him in a huff.
"Yeah, yeah, jeez you can be loud. Thought nobles were supposed to be reserved." Eli grabs a glass of lemonade from Lance's tray.
"Her? Reserved? Ha! She's more like a ball. She'll calmly stay in one place, and then bounce from the walls to-and-fro the next moment." Cethin cackles as he takes a sip of his lemonade.
"I do not! I'm simply stating what's on my mind. Excuse me for understanding how to explain my concerns, while you two quietly sit by and laugh as I struggle." Luna rolls her eyes, taking a glass Lance holds out to her.
Watching the three of them bicker in a friendly manner, Lance chuckles lightly.
"Well, from the looks of it, I'm sure his highness will be happy to know it's progressing well." Lance speaks, giving a small smile to Luna.
"It might go better if she just did as she was told." Eli scoffs.
"I would do as I was told, if you gave better instructions." Luna rolls her eyes, sticking her tongue out at Eli who does the same.
"Oh, may I have a word with you Captain Cethin?-" Lance asks.
"Ugh, don't call me captain again." Cethin groans.
Jumping to his feet, he follows Lance as they walk further from Luna and Eli.

"What's wrong now?" Cethin asks.
"Nothing is wrong. However, I feel compelled to share that Lady Luna has had a troubled life... She's easy to get along with, and from the looks of it, I'm glad she can open up to you all and act more friendly."
"Is that all?" Cethin cocks his head.
"Well... I'm sure if she becomes closer to you, she'll tell you herself. I'm just asking you, please be careful with her. There's many things that frighten her." Lance informs, glancing back at the two who bicker.
"What do you mean? She seems to handle herself well, even threatening her with my lucky blade seemed to be pointless."
"Not that kind of fear."
Cethin looks back at Lance, his expression stern and serious.
"You'll find out in due time, but I worry for her safety and well-being." Lance speaks up, furrowing his brows.
"Did the emperor send you? Listen we'll go easy on her and protect her, just as he's asked."
"His highness has not sent me. I'm merely worried and want to share this with the one who's in charge of her safety."
Lance's eyes pierce into Cethin's with an honest gaze.
Raising an eyebrow, Cethin nods giving a small chuckle.
Turning his back to Lance, he begins walking away and waves.
"I got it. Don't worry yourself too much."
Unable to hide his curiosity, an amused grin grows on his lips as he heads back to the two.