Chapter Forty-Three

"Are you hurt, my lady?" Lance asks, examining me.
"I'm fine... Where's Hayden? Where's Cethin, Eli, and Petunia?" My eyes water as I think about the damage done.
"The assassins are being treated at the moment. They'll be brought to their rooms after the healers help them." Lance wipes my hands with a wet towel.
"And what about Hayden?"
Lance bites his inner cheek, giving a small smile as he continues wiping the dirt.
"Please Lance... He was covered in blood, please tell me if he's okay." I plead.
"Sir Hayden is being looked after."
"Lance, you know what I want to ask." I pull my hand away, trying to take any distractions away, "He was badly injured, wasn't he?"

Lance giving a small sigh, looks at the bowl of soapy water by his side. He glances at me as I wait for him to reply until he gives a small—barely noticeable—nod.
Processing the worry and stress he had in his eyes, I'm unable to control myself.
Feeling a tightness in my chest from fear and despair, I sob as I tightly wrap my arms around myself.

"P-Please take me to him... H-He could die, and it'll be because of me. Lance, please let me see him." I stammer, feeling my heart drop as I think about the vivid image of blood.
Lance looks back at me pained, shaking his head.
"I'm sorry, that's something I cannot allow. He explicitly said to not to let anyone visit."
"Then what about Cabel? He could speak to Hayden to let me visit."
"His highness left this morning for work... He was notified about the incident, but it'll take him a few days to return."
"Then please, speak to Hayden for me. If he has serious injuries and could even pass away, I want to see him again."
"Lady Luna... I understand how you might be feeling, but Sir Hayden is fighting to stay alive. His wishes were to be alone, and the healer is the only one he permitted to see him. I'm concerned too, but I know that Sir Hayden, is not a man who'd let these injuries take his life. He's experienced worse injuries before, and knows what he needs in order to get better. We need to respect his wishes, and can only pray that resting will help him." Lance sternly speaks, before wiping away my tears with a handkerchief.
"I-I'm sorry... You're right... I'm so sorry." I cry, covering my face with my hands.

Days swiftly pass as I'm left alone in the palace.
I visit Cethin, Eli, and Petunia who all grow better each day I visit, but my heart aches the minutes I remain alone.
My anxiousness grows every moment I don't hear back from Lance about Hayden's health, and the loneliness creeps over me as I miss the time I spent with the emperor.
Nightmares begin to haunt me further.
Each night I lay my head down, the memories of being chained return. Hayden's cold-lifeless eyes that terrify me, reminded of how helpless I am to his strength.
Each night, I abruptly find myself sitting up, grabbing the blankets as hard as I can, with tears and sweat dripping down my cheeks.

Eating alone in the dining room, all I can do is sigh as I look to Cabel's empty seat across the table.
I stand, unable to take another bite.

"My lady, are you not hungry?" Lance asks as he watches me stand from my seat.
"No... I'd like to take a walk."
"My lady, you shouldn't leave the palace right now, the gardens are still a mess and being repaired."
"Okay... I'll return to my room then, thank you for dinner." I smile lightly.

I leave the dining room, passing maids and butlers who are all busy, attempting to clean up the palace from the aftermath.
Staring out the hallway windows at the stars, my eyes water as I walk down the hallway absent minded.

Deep in thought, I place my hands on a door handle, entering the room.
I look around confused.

"Why did I come here?" I whisper to myself.
I sigh, looking around Cabel's office.
Stepping inside, the office grows more empty and cold.
"I really miss you, Cabel." I whisper, my eyes watering as I stare at his desk.

Feeling stuffy, I step outside on the office balcony, leaning on the railing. I look up to see the moon shining brightly, illuminating the balcony.

"Luna?" A voice calls out from behind.
I turn around at the familiar voice.