Chapter Forty

Training everyday with the assassins, Luna's relationship with them all improve. Becoming more honest and outgoing, Cethin, Eli, and Jax become close to her as well.

Luna trains with Eli in a field, Cethin and Jax watch from the sidelines.
Jax runs his fingers through his curly hair, keeping his eyes on their postures.

"Hiya!"
Luna kicks Eli's padded hands.
Sweat drips down her face and neck as she works hard to improve herself. Swiftly punching Eli's hand, before quickly sweeping her leg against the ground to trip him.

"Oy! Don't go off script like that! You could have killed me!" Eli scolds, quickly sitting up.
"You're so dramatic. You're an awful assassin if that's all it takes to kill you." Luna giggles, helping him stand.
"With boney arms like hers, she couldn't even kill a fly." Jax teases.
"Hey, I'm still growing stronger from training! Sorry if I'm unable to grow large muscles like yours." Luna exclaims, throwing her glove at Jax.
"See? Didn't even hurt."
"You know what? I wanna train with you then. You should get padded up!" Luna smiles, excited.
Jax simply gives a silent look at her for a moment until rolling his eyes.

"No." He bluntly replies.
"What? How come?" Luna questions, a small pout on her lips.
"I don't do this kind of thing. I trained to be a front line warrior in Xiao. I use weapons most of the time."
"Then let's try using weapons!"
"You aren't ready for that yet. Calm down Chicky, you'll learn how to fight with Jax's style later." Cethin cuts in laughing at Luna's expression.
"I guess I have no choice but to be patient." Luna sighs, stretching her legs.

"Are you having fun?"

Turning around, a smile grows on Luna's face as she see's Emperor Cabel approach.
Accompanied by government officials, Emperor Cabel gives a small nod to the assassins who bow. Lance follows behind, along with a small group of servants.

"Cabel- Your highness, yes. I'm having lots of fun! Cethin and Eli have been teaching me very well." Luna smiles, running up to him.
"That's good to hear. I'm only passing by, but continue with your training." Emperor Cabel pulls out his handkerchief, wiping the faint sweat on her cheek.
"Yes, your highness! Oh, will I be joining you for dinner tonight?"
"No, I'm afraid I'm busy again this week. I'll see you soon, I need to find the time first." Emperor Cabel smiles, brushing her hair back, "I'm leaving, take care of her." He addresses to the assassins.
"Well, of course, your highness!" Cethin salutes playfully, grinning.
Emperor Cabel smiles again to Luna before walking away.

An airy, pleasant sigh leaves Luna's lips as she watches the emperor leave. The emperor speaks with an official, his eyes glancing back again for a moment to meet her stare.

"Oh me oh my! Was that a sigh of 'love'?" Cethin scruffs up Luna's hair, poking fun of her.
"What? You're speaking nonsense again, I was just catching my breath." Luna fixes her hair, swatting Cethin's hand away.
"It's a rather passionate breath you took then, huh?" Cethin snickers, looking back at the emperor who disappears over the hill.
Rolling her eyes, she averts her face from Cethin. A subtle blush in her cheeks as she wears a small smile.
"Enough fooling around, we have to go through our training again." Eli scoffs, pulling Cethin by the back collar of his shirt.
"Ack! You're gonna choke me to death, wait!-" Cethin's dragged by Eli, attempting to loosen his shirt by the neck.
"Shut up, this doesn't even hurt." Eli rolls his eyes.
Giggling as she watches them banter, Luna follows them.

"Your highness, are you feeling okay? If you'd like, I can bring more medication?" Lance asks, placing a cup of tea in front of the Emperor.

The emperor sighs, sitting back in his seat as he leans on the arm rest.
"I'm fine. That medicine's pointless. It barely stops the pain. I'll just build my tolerance to the discomfort instead."
"Your highness, a royal healer can help much more if you'll allow me to call for one."
"Please, they'll begin to ask questions about what happened. I can handle something small like this. If it eases your mind, I feel the energy returning, soon my body can begin to heal itself again."
"If you insist, your highness."
Emperor Cabel sighs, loosening his collar as he slips off his jacket.
He turns to look outside.

Cabel watches Luna and Eli train in the distance, watching her bicker with Cethin who sits to the side.
Smiling to himself, he gazes fondly at the lively scene.
"Your highness, how come you lied about being too busy?" Lance asks, glancing to where Emperor Cabel stares, "You usually tell her to read while you work, plus you don't have meetings for the next few days."
"She makes a worried face... It's comedic when she makes that face but...it upsets me when she looks that distressed. If she spent time with me now, she'll worry about my health and make a funny little face like she wants to cry." Emperor Cabel scoffs, snickering lightly, "It's funny to see how much she cares about me."
"Isn't that great though? This means she could like you more than Hayden."
"I can't be too sure yet... Has any guard reported anyone suspicious recently?" Emperor Cabel asks, turning to meet Lance's eyes.
Lance shakes his head.
"No, your highness. It's fairly quiet for now."
"How unsettling." Emperor Cabel mutters.
Thinking to himself, he furrows his brow as he glances back at the training scene.