What are the odds?

"Dammit"

"Dammit"

I scold myself as I turn into a gas station near the freeway.

Silly me, just had to make a stop on my way home from work, to my favorite adult store for some new toys and some massage oil.

I read the clock and It's nearly 2 am on a Monday. Thankfully, I don't work for the next few days. I stayed much later than expected finishing up some work. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be bothered on my days off.

The gas gauge in my Lexus reads 11 miles until empty, and normally I would take my chances, but at this time of night, that's not a smart move.

I tuck my black bag of 'goodies' into the glove compartment and then open my visor mirror to check myself out.

Removing my glasses I rub my tired eyelids that cover my deep brown eyes. I run my hand over my loose ponytail on top of my head and push a stray strand of my mocha-colored hair from in front of my bronze face. I apply some chapstick and I'm ready.

I step out of the car gripping my cell phone tightly in one hand and my pepper spray hooked to my keys in the other, just in case some idiot tries anything while I'm walking across the station lot.

As soon as I enter the automatic doors, I get lost in a pair of gray eyes on a chocolate brown-skinned Adonis in the flesh. He's sporting a trimmed beard and low-cut Caesar fade with deep waves. He flashes a Colgate smile at me then looks outside. He glances at me again then turns to face the cashier. He starts to speak.

"Seventy on pump 7, and also.." he takes a third look, smirking "Seventy on whatever pump she's parked at."

My cheeks feel hot. "You don't have to do that!" I blurt out.

"Oh, I know I don't." He responds melodically. His voice makes my core shake.

"Please, I've got it." I hold up my cellphone with my debit card holder on the back.

"As do I." He taunts, holding up a wad of cash in a gold engraved money clip.  

I don't know what to say.

"How about this," he starts walking closer, I have to look up as he towers over me. "I'll pay for your gas, and you let me take you out to dinner. We'll call it even."

He catches me off guard and I don't think that was a question. I like his confidence.

I take a look at the man in front of me standing well over 6 feet tall. I know he has to be a foot taller than me standing at 5'3. His cream-colored long-sleeved shirt fits perfectly on his muscular build, unbuttoned at the top where a gold chain rests beautifully on his collarbone that's adorned with tattoos. A pair of dark wash blue jeans finished with some black and white Jordan 12s, the Taxis. He's devilishly handsome.

"Are you okay with that miss?" the cashier asks pulling me from my thoughts. I look around him to her and she nods her head and encourages me to say yes.

"Okay," I agree. "Pump 11 please?" I look at him.  "Thank you."

"Do you need a receipt?" She follows up.

"No, thank you." We answer in unison, look at each other and laugh.

"Keep the change for yourself." He tells her before turning to walk out the door with me.

I relax my grip on my pepper spray but still holding it as he walks me to my sedan.

"May I?" He asks already reaching for the nozzle of the pump.

"Oh, don't you have to pump yours?" I ask trying to decline.

"My brother's got it," he assures me motioning his head over to a Black Audi one row over. I see a caramel brown-skinned man looking in our direction as he begins to pump the gas. He's tall as well with a goatee and short curly hair. I can see the facial similarities but the one in front of me is much more handsome.

"Let me be a gentleman," he insists.

"What's this gentleman's name?" I finally ask.

"Malik," he responds reaching out a large hand to take mine. "And who have I been blessed to meet at this ungodly hour?"

"I'm Sharice," I answer placing my hand in his, it's strong but soft.

He pulls my tiny hand up to his full lips and kisses my knuckle. He's definitely a charmer.

"Alright, Loverboy." his brother calls to him before getting back in the passenger seat of the luxury vehicle.

Without acknowledging his brother he hangs up the nozzle, locks my gas cap, and opens my car door to help me in, not that I needed it, but I'm not complaining.

I quickly glance at the pump to see when my tank tapped out because I knew the cashier would get a nice tip.

$62 is all it took.

He hands me his cellphone once I'm seated. My cheeks are once again burning as I store my number. I pass him back his phone and he grazes my hand before taking it. He gives a mischievous smirk.

"Get home safely." He commands.

"You too," I say mirroring his energy.

He laughs and it makes my heart skip a beat.

"See you soon, Miss Sharice," he says stepping back to close my door. I release a satisfied sigh. I don't even need to turn the heat from the way my body feels after the interaction.

I pull out the gas station lot and get on the freeway home.

What a night.