It is what it is

I hear a knock at the door

"Come in" I call out.

"Hey," Malik says walking in with Mason on his heel shutting the door.

I take off my glasses. "What are you guys up to?"

"I wanted to talk to you about something" Malik starts "So I know this position is new to you..."

"Did I do something wrong?" I interrupt.

"No, not at all Recey," Mason assures me. "A friend of ours would like for you to do an interview."

"Who's the friend?" I look at Malik who has sorrowful eyes.

"It's the editor in chief of B.E. Media"

"Really? I've read B.E. Media for years. They want to interview me?"

It's been a dream of mine to be featured. I planned by 30 I'd reveal Sire and go on as Sharice, with an established reputation. Everything's happening sooner than I'd expected.

"Yeah, what do you think?" Malik asks.

"I'll do it," I tell him without another thought.

"Really?" Malik and Mason ask in unison.

"Yeah."

"Alright then, you guys hungry?" Mason asks.

"I am, what about you Sharice?" Malik says.

"Actually, I haven't been feeling too hot today, maybe that sugary ass drink this morning on an empty stomach wasn't a good idea. I'm just gonna drink some tea, and get through some more work."

"Maybe we can bring you back something light," Mason says heading to the door. "I'll meet you at the car, Malik."

Malik approaches me at my desk.
"Baby,"

"Yeah" I look at him. He looks concerned.

"You sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, just my nerves. I'm still getting adjusted."

"Okay. If you need me, call. We'll be back soon." He says kissing me on the forehead. "You can lay down on the couch in my office. It's unlocked. I love you."

He makes me smile every time he says it. "I love you too."

Once Malik leaves I go into his office and I close the blinds to lay down.

After feeling a little better I take out my phone and check my notifications. I've got some text messages from my best friend Savanna.

Damn boo you famous!!!

Followed by some screenshots from an Instagram post from a page called GossipSpot. It's pictures of me, Mason, and Malik at the mall.

The caption reads: REPOST FROM @AtlGossip: One of Atlanta's eligible Bachelor's may have found him a boo. Malik Daley was spotted holding hands with a mystery girl at the Plaza in Atlanta with his (still very single) brother Mason Daley. We don't know who this girl is but she's a cutie. Sound off in the comments with your thoughts.

The post has over forty thousand likes.

Omg. Call me.

I text her back before opening Instagram. I have a profile but I barely use it. It's private and only my close friends know it.

As soon as I open the app I have hella follow requests and dms and comment tags.

I go to the blogs page and read the comments.

At least he got a black girl, you know how they do.

She looks young af...lls

She already blowing through that man's money.

Ain't nobody found the @ yet??

That's @ReceFbaby

I can't read anymore. My eyes sting with tears.

Savanna finally calls.

"Hey boo, I know you said he was successful and known, but damn." She bellows through the phone.

"Sav, I don't know what happened. I just got here yesterday. It's people blowing up my IG." I say trying to stay calm.

"Yea, I'm sorry. I know how you like to stay low. That's only one of the blogs that posted it. AtlGossip posted it first. I didn't know you were in Georgia. But girl, It's bitches in the comments that we went to high school with acting like y'all besties like I won't fight them."

"Fuck!" I mumble.

"Girl, that's your man, you ain't gotta worry about it, it is what it is. Ain't no point in tryna keep it a secret now. Celebrate that black love."

Malik walks in and looks at me confused. "Baby what's wrong?"

"I'll call you back," I tell Savanna.

"Okay. Love you S." She tells me hanging up.

I hand him the phone so he can see the post.

"Shit." He drops his head.

"Don't you have someone who can fix this? Make them delete it?" I ask him trying to relax.

He scratches his beard, "Let me call Pops."