A gift?

I walk into the drugstore and skim the aisles until I find the one with the pregnancy tests

Next to the condoms, how convenient is that.

I don't know which one to get so I grab 3 different boxes, with 5 tests in total. I grab a ginger ale to settle my nausea and a gallon of water then go pay for my things.

I get back into the truck with Mason and he laughs seeing the bag. "Damn how many did you get?" He asks.

"I've never done this before Mason." I roll my eyes at him.

"Me either." He defends himself. "I sent Malik a text to call ASAP, so we should be hearing from him soon."

"Okay. What about tomorrow? We're supposed to leave in the afternoon." I say worried.

"Let's get you home, then we'll see what Malik wants us to do."

"I don't want to ruin his birthday." I plant my face in my hands.

"Trust me, it will be far from ruined. Think of this as his gift." 

Mason drops me off in the lobby to go get us some food and give me time to take my tests.

I already started drinking my water on the ride home so I really have to pee. I get in the front door and drop the gallon of water and bag of tests in the entryway. I kick off my heels grabbing one of the boxes out of the bag and run into the bathroom next to the front door.

I rip open the test place it between my legs and catch some of the pee. I set it on some tissue on the counter.

As I'm washing my hands, I hear something bump upstairs.

I slowly walk up the stairs and halfway up and I see the spare bedroom door is open, but I know I closed it before I left this morning. I immediately call Mason.

"What's up? I'm gonna just order something."

"Someone's here," I whisper in the phone continuing up the stairs.

"What's do you mean?"

As I get to the top of the stairs someone runs out of the room and rushes me. I try to catch my balance but tumble down the stairs.

When I finally land at the bottom, I feel warm liquid coming down my face. I try to reach up and touch my face but my ribs hurt. I hear the door shut. My head is throbbing and everything becomes fuzzy and then dark.