So much for a boring day.

After all the things that have been happening in my life the past 2 days, I welcome my boring workday

After all the things that have been happening in my life the past 2 days, I welcome my boring workday. I go into the office to prepare for my client consultation. At least I'll be getting paid extra to do what I used to do for free.

I check through some work emails making sure I hadn't missed anything important during my day off. I've got some emails from a threat-hunting vendor with some potential contacts. One offer is from a billion-dollar social media company that's paying top dollar to whoever can replicate and repair the bug exploits in their systems. I'm sure I can fly up north sometime next week and have that done by lunchtime and be back home by dinner. I set a reminder on that email to follow up by the end of the day.

I check my schedule and I have a business lunch scheduled this week to go over the plans for the cybersecurity conference in Las Vegas next month. It's during Malik's birthday weekend so maybe he'll come and we can make it a little baecation.

I have some audit meetings next week and have to conduct a few compliance classes. We're supposed to have everyone certified by the end of April but my boss has been putting it off. I make a reminder to talk to him about it later today.

"Ms. Freyling," the phone intercom rings through to me. "Conference room 2 is ready for you."

"Perfect. Thank you, Carla." I thank the secretary.

I stand up and go check myself out in the mirror behind my office door. I have my hair pulled back in a braided ponytail. With a black one-piece jumpsuit, I bought at the mall yesterday.

I put on my eyeglasses and I grab my laptop to go to the conference room.

I get a text as I get ready to open the door. It's from Malik.

Can't wait to see you later 😘

I decide I'll text him back after my meeting.

I hear Jonathan and some other men's voices laughing behind the closed door. I put on my fakest welcoming smile before opening the door to go inside.

As I enter, I hear my boss's introduction, "Guys, I'd like you to meet Sire Freyling. Sire, these are the MED brothers, Malik and Mason Daley"

My smile fades.

"Hey! Gas station girl." Mason stands up from the table and reaches out his hand to shake mine.

"Sire," my boss Jonathan looks to me, "You know the Mason and Malik?"

"You're the MED brothers," I stammer "as in the MED Group?" I sit my laptop on the table and look around.

This has to be some kind of joke.

I feel flustered. My mind now flashing back to the money clip when we met. It was his initials. M.E.D. I look at Malik he looks confused.

"Sire... Freyling." He says looking at me not asking a question.

"Malik, can I talk to you in office for a second?" I say walking out of the conference room before he can answer. He follows.

We walk in silence. I enter my office and sit at my desk taking off my glasses and rubbing my eyes. He looks around then he is eyes land on me.

"So you're ... Sire." He states, again not asking a question.

"I am," I confirm standing up from my chair. I walk around the desk and sit against it. "And you, MED Group." Gesturing my hand in his direction.

"Yes." He responds coldly adjusting his suit jacket.

Awkward silence.

"You said you work for a bank Sharice." He begins.

"This is a bank, Malik." I roll my eyes. "You said you work IN private equity. Not you RUN the fucking firm!"

"You ain't no damn banker!" He retorts.

"Malik, you're a multi-millionaire," I say in a low tone.

"You're one to talk," He scoffs. "Sire. You've got quite a net worth yourself."

Someone knocks on the door.

"Come in!" I command.

Mason enters. "So, you're the real deal." He says pointing at my nameplate with a surprised look on his face.

"Mason..." I groan.

"Look Sharice, or Sire, whatever you want us to address you as. I know I owe you a huge apology after last night, but today we came here for important business, and you just so happen to be the star of the show. So please come take this meeting with us and we'll even buy you lunch." He holds his hand out to take mine. "The consultation fee has already been paid, so why not?" he grins.

I look to Malik for some sort of confirmation that this wasn't a setup.

"Give us a minute and we'll be right there," Malik tells Mason. He nods and leaves.

I don't know how to process this information. I'm confused.

"Sharice, we have a lot to discuss, but right now I'm a CEO that needs your expertise for my company. You have a reputation as one of the best in your field. I wish you would've told me cause honestly, I'm proud of you. You're as badass as it gets." He says stepping closer. "Right now we have to put a pause on our emotions and get down to business" he hovers over me and wipes away the tears that I didn't know were there. "Now let's go get you this money."

We hid our truths from each other.

"Okay," I agree.

I fix myself in the mirror and follow him back to the conference room.

And I thought I'd get a boring day at work.