@sshole.

"So what have you two been up to?"

Mason asks taking a swig of his whiskey.

The three of us sit at a corner table in a beachfront restaurant taking in the amazing view. I would love to put my toes in the water after dinner.

"We're just getting to know each other," I answer him smiling at Malik.

"Intimately?" He states, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Mase," Malik warns his younger brother.

"What?" Mason responds taking another drink. "Are you not sleeping together... already?" Judgment laced in his tone.

I place my hand on top of Malik's and meet his gaze. "C'est bon, Je peux m'en occuper." (It's okay, I can handle him.)

"Tu crois ?" (You think so?) Mason asks me with a raised brow. "Where are you from?"

"I moved here from Arizona," I tell him proudly.

"Arizona. So you're not a local?" He continues his questions.

"Nope, I haven't been here a whole year yet."

"Do you live near that gas station?"

"No, just work in the area. I actually don't live too far from the University."

"Oh?" He says sounding interested. "Malik tells me you're a banker. How do you like that? Tryna get in good then rob the place?" He laughs.

I take a sip of my drink wanting to roll my eyes at that tired old joke. "It pays the bills." I shrug.

"Pays pretty well, huh." he scoffs. "Driving a Lexus, living in such an expensive neighborhood."

Here we go.

"I moved here with a nice savings and I'm good with finances, hence me working at a bank." I shoot back showing my annoyance.

I look at Malik who's quietly observing me. I know I told him I could handle it, but I don't like how his brother is grilling me.

"Why here of all the places to move?" He asks.

"I wanted to try something new. I needed change." I tell him with a low tone.

The waiter arrives with our food, but now I've lost my appetite.

"I need to go to the ladies' room." I excuse myself.

I want to go home.