Like mother, like daughter

I arrive at my parent's home and sit in the driveway

I arrive at my parent's home and sit in the driveway. I can't stop the tears from dripping down my face. I almost killed that woman. I almost killed Mariah. I didn't want to let go. I wanted to squeeze the life from her.

I'm afraid I would have done it if Sharice's beautiful face hadn't crossed my mind. The only reason Mariah is still drawing breath is because of the person she hates the most right now.

I can't go to jail and leave my fiancé.

I wipe my face and get myself together before getting out of the car to go inside.

I aimlessly wander into my father's study and see him talking on the phone.

"I'm very sorry to hear the news, but I thank you for all your help, detective." my father looks up at me and continues, "I understand. Have a great rest of your evening." He hangs up clearing his throat, "Well son, since Mariah's confessed to everything, the detective says he has a case. Unfortunately, Thomas has resigned."

"He doesn't have to do that," I tell him.

"He knows but, if what Mariah is saying turns out to be true, he's going to be divorcing Vanessa, and more than likely he'll be Malena's guardian."

"What did Vanessa do?"

My father sighs deeply, "It seems when Mariah conceived Malena, her mother advised her to sleep with you so you would believe the baby was yours. The problem was that you were always so careful, so Mariah drugged you so that she could have unprotected sex with you." he discloses

This is all so crazy,

"Your mother always knew something wasn't right with that girl. She knew that baby couldn't have been yours," he tells me.

"Damn."

"The day of Sharice's fall, Mariah told her mother what she did, and her mother told her to leave until suspicions died down because Sharice had never seen Mariah before so how could she identify her."

"I never thought Mariah would do such horrible things. Now I see where she learned it from." I say to my father.

"On to better news, I see that rock on that girl's hand." He laughs speaking of Sharice's ring. "You tryna make me look bad, boy? Now I'm gonna have to get your mama a new ring." He jokes

"It's a little somethin somethin. I learned from the best pop." I compliment him.

"That girl is truly a treasure. Her coming up with that idea was something straight out of a movie, and it worked."

"A little too well," I say lowly. "Pop, I almost killed Mariah."

"Malik, but you didn't. She will be held accountable for the pain she's caused in your life, now you have to move on to your next chapter. "

Everything has a reason.