Chapter 19 - Quidditch World Cup (4th Year)

The Quidditch World Cup was the greatest event of the entire season. People were coming from all over the world to see the final match between Ireland and Bulgaria. Luna and I would also be watching the game, along with the rest of the magical world.

It seemed as if I was waiting for this night for over two months. Not only because I was a great Quidditch fan myself, expecting to make it into the Ravenclaw Quidditch team this year, but also because it would be the night when I would finally be seeing all my friends, Hermione, Harry, Ron and of course Draco.

My heart was beating faster even in the thought of the boy's name. I remember summer passing slower than any other summer I've spent with Luna. And even thought holidays were always enjoyable when it comes to spending time with your friends, I think I would rather be at Hogwarts. And that's because I would be able to be near Draco if I were in Hogwarts.

During the summer, we wrote to each other. He wasn't a person who would open up easily. However much he avoided talking about any kind of feeling he had, his letters reeked of his need for affection - something that he was afraid to show himself. Yet he was slowly and steadily reaching for me, sharing his thoughts. If anyone told me three months ago that I would be sending letters back and forth with Draco Malfoy, I would have called him crazy.

He was sending me a letter every day. Sometimes he was talking about him, sometimes about his family, sometimes he was sending just a blank piece of paper, just because he wanted to send something. I had the time to understand that he wasn't just what he was showing. He was much deeper than I'd understood. Yet, I didn't know if I should give him a chance. I didn't know if the things he was writing and the parts of him that he was revealing every day was either his true self or the kind of person he was showing just to make me fall easier. And yet, I had a strange feeling that something big was coming, not only for tonight but also for the whole year.

We would camp near the Quidditch pitch, and I was settled in the tent faster than everyone else. I was quite bored and I thought it would be fun going for a walk around the camp. Who knew who I was going to meet?

Wandering thought the street janglers and the groups of people singing the anthems of the Quidditch team that they were supporting, I saw Draco, standing outside a tent, with his hands in his pockets and his eyes looking at nothing specific. He was wearing an expensive black suit, something that made him look much older than I had remembered.

A few meters away, I could see Lucius Malfoy, just as strangely ravishing and seriously fetching as I remembered him from the pictures on the newspapers, yet with something cold in his look. Next to him was standing a charming woman with quite the same colour of hair as Lucius and Draco. I guessed it was Draco's mother. And indeed, the woman had something of Draco in her. At once I thought it was her chin that resembled Draco's but then I noticed that she had the same lips as well.

The Malfoy couple was a strange one. Both mother and father were outstandingly beautiful, yet they both had something fearful and almost cruel in their look. They were discussing with three other men, men I recognized from the Daily Prophet. They were Lucius Malfoy's colleagues.

I would very much have liked to go and talk to Draco but I knew that would mean trouble for him, especially since he was standing just near his parents. Thankfully, that was when Draco saw me as well. I acted like I was examining a necklace from a street shop, as he excused himself from his father, and came near me.

"I was looking for you..." he said, standing beside him, acting like he was looking for something in the street shop himself.

I hadn't used to seeing him outside school. Although he wore something other than his Slytherin robes every chance he got back at Hogwarts, he always chose to wear something simple. When he was casually spending time with me at the library, for example, he would wear his simple black trousers and a green sweater - everything looked fancy but otherwise casual. This time he was wearing a suit, a black, expensive, strict suit - a snake pin on the collar of his black shirt. He seemed to have grown up over the summer like he had matured to match his new jacket.