Chapter 85 - Godric's Hollow

The next morning, after waking up, I felt my head as dizzy as always. I hadn't eaten for days; we couldn't find food that easily and neither was there any kind of magic that could make it appear in front of us out of nowhere. I wasn't sleeping well. There was a deafening, metallic, screeching sound on my ears whenever I tried to rest. I was waking up with the feeling that I had seen a nightmare even though I could remember nothing. By the time it was my turn to hold the Horcrux around my neck, I wasn't able to see anything clearly. I didn't manage to wear it for long. Ten minutes later, I would collapse on the ground.

Harry took me inside. When I regained my senses, I was feeling so cold. Hermione brought extra blankets but it seemed like the cold was deriving from my own body.

That night was the hardest. I couldn't stand or feel my feet.

Hermione was crying silently again, hoping that we wouldn't see her. Both Harry and I noticed. She had changed the radio station to a muggle one and a beautiful, old song started playing. I recognised the voice of my mother's favourite singer, Nick Cave. She used to put this song on the record player while we were dinning. 

There was Ron's name hovering between the three of us. One knew what the other was thinking. Hermione missed him as much as I missed Draco.

"Oh... Children..." I muttered the song. Harry kissed my forehead.

Wish we were, right now, he thought.

After hearing half of the song, Harry had an idea. It popped into my head the moment it appeared into his as well. He offered his hand for her to take it. When she stood, Harry took off the Horcrux that was hanging around her neck and left it on the bed, as far away from me as he could. The mad man started dancing with her. I must admit their dancing was ridiculous, really, but it cheered me up. I watched them with a silent smile on my face. Harry regularly looked at me and he wanted to dance with me too, but he knew I couldn't even move.

But these few moments were only a warm drop in an icy-cold sea. Hermione's joy soon left her face again. She walked out of the tent taking the Horcrux with her.

Silence returned. And the interferences of the radio returned. Harry slowly turned it off.

"Anne..." he said, idly shaking his head.

"Come here..." I didn't think that the pain could be painted in my voice but now it was obvious even in my ears.

It was easy for Harry to know that this call was different from other ones in the past. With our telepathic connection, it was not easy to hide. If he wasn't involuntarily feeling my mind, he wouldn't have known that for that in my mind, this one moment was right.

He got under the covers and although we both knew what was coming, he took his time. Now that I could feel his naked body on mine, I didn't feel so cold anymore. He was soft, softer than I'd imagined. He was holding back, knowing I was in pain. When I was able to relax and close my eyes in pleasure, he allowed himself to move as he pleased as well.

There were moments of doubt. Harry could read them. But every touch, every kiss worked as a shield. It protected me against the metallic noise in my ears, against the endless agony I was still in. He was the only thing that was standing between me and my body giving up.

So I stopped caring so much about in how much pain my feet were, and spend the night with him for the first and the last time.

*     *     *

For a long time, I thought that Draco would be the only one that I would ever share this. I knew that what happened with Harry was an act of pure love, not just lust. But that didn't make it feel right in any way. At the same time, I knew that I would never have a moment with Draco again. He was gone.