Chapter 21 - Ride Back

I had to make up an excuse about why I didn't stick to the Weasley family when the attack happened and why it took me such a long time for me to come back. And to my great surprise, they did believe that I was truly unconscious because of all the smoke and it took me ages to come back to my senses.

It was only when we got back to the Burrow that I had the time to think again the incidences of that night.

First of all, it turns out that the Dark Lord is alive and hiding. The terror attack was enough proof, if I wanted to doubt whether or not Draco had his facts right. Secondly, I was sure that Draco's parents were not simply puritan classists as everyone thought. They were the Dark Lord's followers and they were still active. Of these things, I was sure. But then came all these other questions that troubled my mind. 

"There are so many things that you don't know about yourself, Anne." That's what he'd said. That was Draco had mentioned. It turned out the Death Eaters were looking for me while wreaking havoc and the reason for that was unknown to me; I didn't want to believe that it was just because I was Dumbledore's goddaughter - it didn't make too much sense to me, it wasn't enough somehow.

And then to the basic question.

Who was I?

*     *     *

During the ride back to Hogwarts I had the time to talk to Luna and tell her all about that weird night of the attack, spearing the details about learning that Draco's family are all Death Eaters. I just kept these thoughts for myself.

There was no answer she could give to my questions, she stayed silent for a moment and then give me something as unsure as a warning.

"You know you should be careful with Malfoy, don't you? You have already gotten in too much trouble, and you are not even together yet. I mean, officially... Or are you?"

"Well, I think it's too soon to talk about something like that," I explained. However, the thought that he was already acting like my boyfriend did cross my mind and stayed there long after the discussion was over.

"I don't know..." said Luna hesitantly.

"Is there something wrong? I remember when you screeched because I received a letter from him. You always said that you think he is more than he seems..."

"Yes!" she said hopefully. "Until you disappeared in the attack... I was so scared... I will always support you, you know that. As long as you're not putting yourself in danger," she explained with worried eyes. I couldn't get angry at those eyes.

This was the closest we would ever get to a fight with Luna. She was always supportive of letting Draco slowly enter my life and I think she was very disoriented by how quickly everything seemed to be moving. It was true; not many months ago he was bullying me daily. Of course, no one was there to read our letters or see him melting his ice at the Astronomy Tower so I couldn't blame her for only speaking the second thoughts that I had myself.

There was one thing sure. If the most openminded person was hesitant towards this, it was because she was picking up on some devious aftertaste.

"I feel sick. I need to walk," I interrupted her and got out of the carriage, feeling really upset for having a fight with Luna. I realized it was the first time I fought with her. And even though I knew it would be all as before in no time, I felt an annoying lump sticking on my throat.

I opened a window at the empty corridor and waited for the fresh air to enter my lungs. I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply. The air here smelled like woods and fresh waters - we were getting closer to Hogwarts.