Chapter 36 - Don't You Care?

"What do you think you're doing, Anne?" You could say that Draco was looking at with eyes not quite as understanding as I would expect.

I shoved a blue sweater in my trunk and collected some books that I'd left on his bedside table. I noticed I was still carrying Draco's letters with me wherever I went. They were still somewhere on the bottom of the trunk. It was the right time to take them out again, leave them on the table where they must have been written.

"I'm leaving this place," I answered and continued packing the few things that I had managed to get out of my truck after my arrival.

"You simply cannot go. You're bleeding, you're dizzy and you're just plain scared. Leaving would be the worst thing to do right now."

"I wouldn't expect anything else from you, Draco. You've proven me that all I was afraid of all this time was true," I said not even stopping any move in his rough touches to stop.

"Anne you cannot believe that! It's simply so wrong that you're wasting your time thinking that I would ever betray you! I was just waiting for the right time-"

"Oh, and you found it, didn't you? I eventually found out about it in the subtlest way, didn't I? Come dine with us and before I forget, you're my daughter," I said impersonating Voldemort's cold voice. I didn't even know why I was in the mood of joking about it...

"Can you just not let this come between us?"

"Us? There is no us anymore. From now on we are alone. You've done a fine job with it already! I was right all along about you! I was right; I knew it. I knew you would do this," I said and, although I was as mad as I ever was, I knew that I was just lying. I felt stupid for ever trusting him but he had been my haven from the very first moment.

"From the moment you met me?" he shouted. "You thought that you couldn't trust me from the first moment you saw me? So, that means you never fully trusted me..." he said and something in his voice was slowly breaking. How could he twist this around so quickly?

"Why do you even care, if I was true to you? You were never true to me," I said making my way to the bedroom door.

"Because I lov-"

"Don't you say it!" I pointed a finger at him. "You think you can turn this around by saying cute little things that romance novels left behind? Your manipulation levels are dropping, Draco. You need to step up your game. Just drop it. I'm leaving anyway," I said and opened the door but he rsn up to me and closed it at once.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"Well, I don't know. I haven't calculated every single step for the upcoming year. We are not all as back-stabbing as you are!"

"Tell me what you want me to do so I can make you stay. Tell me and I'll do it," he said and made a step closer to me as soon as I made a step back.

"You understand that you are risking your life by considering leaving, don't you?"

I took a deep and low breath.

"When a homicidal maniac is sweet-talking you, it is probable that he is trying to manipulate you. When people manipulate you, it means that they need something from you. If they need something from you it means that you are valuable to them. Voldemort is giving me time only to lure me in. He knows that I have been raised under the wing of muggles and his greatest enemy, Dumbledore. He knows that if he has a chance to make me his follower, it is by making it seem that he is generously giving me a choice. And who do homicidal maniacs want to willfully become their followers? The answer is the people that they need. It all leads back to this: I am useful to him. I do not know why but I know that he is not going to hurt me - at least for now."