Chapter 94 - The Battle of Hogwarts • Always

I ran to the northern tower where most of our defence was sent. On my way up I ran past Hermione and Ron who were running down the stairs in a different direction.

"Ron! Hermione!" I called and they turned back to see me. "Where are you going? Have you seen Harry?"

"I don't think it is the right moment to find him. He is going to the Room of Requirements. He is trying to find the sword! Maybe you should meet the rest of the Order; they must need you now!" said Hermione.

"That's where I was heading right now," I said. "But where are you two going?"

"We will try to find another weapon to destroy the Horcruxes. Harry has killed one before with a Basilisk's fang," said Ron.

"I will bring one more for you. You should have one in case you have the chance to kill Nagini," said Hermione.

Another switch clicked in my brain and quickly I lost the ground from under my feet.

"Okay," I only said.

They ran away at once and didn't have time for more discussion. 

In an hour, the shield that protected Hogwarts had been destroyed.

Death Eaters were pouring in the castle and the losses were more by the minute. I was still in the north tower when the battle started getting thicker and thicker and a moment before leaving for Dumbledore's office, the fight became wild. I stayed right where I was, throwing curses in every turn. The tower wouldn't be safe for much longer.

"Annalise!" Remus shouted. I turned to look at the man who was calling after stupefied a Death Eater. "You have to leave the tower! Save yourself!" he said.

"I am staying here! I'm still holding on!" I said. I saw him storm up to me.

"Look at me. This is an order. You are hurt and tortured and this tower won't last for long and you of all people cannot die. Leave. We will deal with the rest of them and then I'll meet you later. Find a safe place," he said hastily and disarmed a Death Eater behind me.

"I won't leave the fight!" I said. "I can fight!"

"You will. But this place is too dangerous! Go!" he said and pushed me away. "GO!" he ordered.

It's sad when I think back at it. You think the last word you hear from another person will be significant and stay with you forever. Sometimes it's a verb shouted in agony in the middle of a fight.

I didn't think about it much at the time. The last thing I knew was that I was embracing Remus Lupin, the man who was like a father or brother to me for the last time. Then I ran away from the tower. I looked back several times. 

I don't remember which time was the last.

I was now desperately trying to fight my way to Dumbledore's office.

The halls and stairs were filled with Death Eaters that had only bad intentions. They would kill every student in their way without mercy and they would destroy every inch of the castle.

When I reached Dumbledore's office my face was dirty with dust and dirt from Hogwarts' ruins. It was only then that I had had the time to take a breath and calm down for a moment. The past hour was a constant fight.

"I knew you would come," I heard a voice in the office. It was Snape's and he was standing in front of the Pensieve. At first, I didn't see him. It was dark and he was dark as well. The only light came from the Pensieve.

"What are you doing here? You, of all people..." I said with a loathsome expression.

"It is still my office, you know..." he said and walked to me. He tried to place a hand on my shoulder but I shook it away.