Chapter 42 - We Are Enemies Now

The paper bird that Pavarti had just bewitched, flew above us. It didn't hover above us for a minute before Umbridge got inside the classroom and burn it with a wave of her wand, making it land on Pavarti's hands.

"Good morning children." We turned to look at her standing by the door. She was dressed in pink again, something that could make her look even more annoying than she already was. "Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations. O-W-L or commonly known as O.W.L.s. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so and the consequences may be severe," the little smile that couldn't look any faker, didn't get off her face. She waved her wand again and a pack of books floated and made their way off her desk to our desks. I took a look at the book when it landed in front of me when I remembered what it resembled. It looked like a book that we had at primary school back to the muggle world.

"Your previous instruction of subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know, from now on you'll be following a carefully structured, Ministry proved course of Defensive Magic," she turned to look at Hermione who was raising her hand as usual. "Yes?"

"There's nothing in here about using spells?"

"Using spells? Ha! Well, I can't imagine why you'd need to use spells in my classroom," she said hiding something like a snugger.

"We're not going to use magic?" I rushed to speak.

"You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way," Risk free? I said inside me but didn't speak.

"What use is that? If we're going to be attacked we won't be risk-free!" added Harry quickly. I watched Umbridge's smile slowly fading.

"Students will raise their hand before they speak in my class," she said with a steady voice as she turned her back to us. "It is the view of the Ministry that theoretical knowledge will be what you need to get through your examinations, which after all is what school is all about."

"And how is theory supposed to prepare us from what's out there?" said Harry again.

"There is nothing out there, dear! Who do you imagine would attack children like yourself?"

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe, Lord Voldemort," I shuddered at the sound of my father's name. Umbridge didn't answer. She looked at Harry like he was an alien. She paused for a moment. She looked rather worried behind her ugly smile.

"Now, let me make this quite plane. I've been told that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This-is-a-lie."

"It's not a lie! I saw him! I fought him!"

"Detention, Mr Potter!"

"So according to you, Cedric Diggory died by himself!" I dare to speak and help Harry.

"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident!"

"He was murdered!"

"He Who Must Not Be Named killed him! You must know that!" I cried angrily.

"ENOUGH! Enough. See me later, Mr Potter, in my office. As for you, Miss... Miss Wallis, you have no business taking part in this. You are not allowed to have an opinion since you don't have anything to do with this."

"Not allowed to have an opinion? What makes you think that?" I said wildly before I realised that I had made a huge mistake saying that I saw him.

"Maybe because you hold no proof in your hands. Unless you saw him, with your own eyes, plain as day, I don't think you can have the right to speak on Potter's behalf," she said.