Chapter 75 - Some Last Words

"Are you sure there is not something wrong?" I asked Albus.

I didn't expect him to call me to his office for no reason. He usually had something to say. And that's mainly the reason why we had lost contact for the past month. We were talking regularly, though, and I liked the fact that we were not always talking about these unpleasant things such as Voldemort. There were many times that we were just talking like father and daughter. I had almost forgiven him about all these things that happened last year; all the things he'd never told me. And I hadn't seen him for such a long time that I left Draco sleeping alone in the Hospital Wing, for the first time.

"No reason. I just felt like talking to you. See you," he said and smiled.

"You've been away for a long time. Where were you?"

"Trying to find a solution to our problems," he answered airily.

"Does that have to do with-" I looked at his hand.

"We won't talk about this stuff now!" he stopped me. "I just wanted to see you," he said again. "So!" he said after a moment, shaking his head. "I suspect that you and Mr Malfoy have reconnected."

"How come you know everything about everyone in this castle?" I laughed.

"My castle, my game. Is it true?"

"I guess it is," I lowered my eyes.

"Yes, I am quite worried about your late-night wanderings at the Astronomy Tower," he looked at me over his glasses.

"Albus - I - um... That doesn't happen, like, regularly. I mean-"

"I didn't see anything, didn't hear anything, as long as Mr. Filch doesn't see or hear anything..." he said airily. "Being the Headmaster's goddaughter or the Headmaster's goddaughter's boyfriend does have its privileges."

I laughed to that and it scared me that it didn't seem weird to talk about boys with Albus.

"I do hope you understand, however, that Draco is quite the young man. I was beginning to think that maybe you could influence him for the better but it seems that he has no intention of changing his mind when it comes to battlegrounds," he said oddly.

"Is it a battleground already? Anyway, I cannot force anyone to do anything. However, I would like you to reassure me that if he has, say, a change of hearts, we will have your protection in the Order," I said.

"I did think this was obvious to both of us, Annalise," he said. "But I do need to say to you this; This fight that is coming, you are going to fight it at its hardest. Not because I'm telling you so but because you want to - which I'm sure you do. Your mother was once driven away by love. I will not go into wondering, if it was a good or a bad choice. Frankly, we wouldn't be having this conversation, if she hadn't made that choice. But I would advise you not to do the same. A great burden has been laid upon you. Your fate is not just yours. It's everyone's. What you do, affects the whole world. I hope you know that by now. So when the time comes - and it will be sooner than you think - remember these words; choose the world."

"The thing that I put first is my people. I never put myself first. But I have to ask you; why all this?" I said slowly.

"Why am I talking about it?"

"No, I am fine with the fact that I will never understand you," I said and we both laughed. "Why does it all come down to me?"

"You share some similarities with our mutual friend, Harry Potter. He is the one who will kill Voldemort and if truth be told, it all comes down to him. But never forget. You know the secret to Voldemort's death. Maybe you don't know what you know, maybe you don't know it yet. But when the time comes you will help Harry save this world, therefore, save it yourself. And then..."