Chapter 10 - Unavoidable

On the very next day, Luna and I woke up quite early for a Saturday morning. We went down for an early breakfast but then there were little things to do except going to the library and start doing our homework. Luna was not into the idea of studying on a Saturday morning, especially when it was not even 7 o'clock.

Our usual spot was at the far back of the library. It was definitely darker than the other desks you could find but here it was always quiet. Even during the library's busiest hours, no one came that far back. The desks were always unoccupied and you could get away with studying in your sweatpants and plain Ravenclaw sweater on the days you wanted to be more comfortable.

"Do you really find it in your heart to study? It's such a beautiful day!" said Luna, staring out of the window as I was opening the library door.

"It's raining, Luna..." I said giving her a small laugh.

"Well, I love rain! I would love to be at the Ravenclaw tower right now," she said as we were getting inside.

"Luna, we are writing two tests this week and we have to hand our Potions and Transfiguration essays on Monday. When are you going to study all of them?"

"Well, surely not at 7 o'clock in the morning!" she answered as I placed my books on our favourite corner in the library.

"Well, I have to start right away if I want to finish that Astronomy essay for extra credit."

"More extra credit? We just started the semester! You are too much even for a Ravenclaw!" Luna protested. 

"Okay, Luna. I won't make you study, if you don't want to. I just thought the sooner we started, the sooner we would finish and enjoy our Saturday night. Go back to the common room, if you want. But I'll stay here and study, so if you need me anything, you'll know where to find me." I said sitting down.

Luna was ready to explode with joy in the thought that I wouldn't force her into studying this time, when we heard the library door squeaking open and then closing again. We heard footsteps. We were both wondering who could have come to the library that early. Who else was about to study at 7 o'clock in the morning. And before Luna could farewell me to head back to the common room, we saw a sleek, white haired boy getting into the library.

There might have been a smile in Luna's face.

"Oh." It was the only thing I could say.

"Oh, I am not going to leave now. I'm sure you don't want to stay here with him. Alone," she said and gave him a doubtful look. We both examined how Draco moved around the corridors, searching for a book. He didn't seem to be looking at us today though.

"Luna, I'll be fine... Besides, I really think it's a coincidence that he's here today."

"Are you sure? I thought you had decided to avoid him..." she said.

"Well I am still on it, Luna, but I can't make you stay here just because he showed up. You can go back to the Common Room or for a walk. But put on your raincoat and boots, please! And I will see you later for lunch."

Luna did leave, hopping towards the exit but I could feel this wasn't the first thing she wanted to do. She was very protective when it came to me and she didn't want me to be in a difficult situation.

I would have expected that he would come up and talk to me. No. He didn't. By the time he noticed Luna getting out of the library, he took his books and placed them to the free space opposite me.

"What are you doing?" I said.

"This place is free, right?" he said with a tone of sarcasm.

"There are a hundred free desks. Don't tell me you're sitting next to the filthy mudblood," I said quickly.