Chapter 7 - Malfoy in Love

Draco's point of view:

...Something was getting on the train. I could tell that they were tall and cloaked but no more. I could feel the glass colder by the second. All of the students were looking outside the window.

"Luna, what happened? We can't be there yet, right?" said a girl with brown hair and ice-blue eyes.

I remembered her. It was the Astronomy Tower girl. She was the Ravenclaw one, the mudblood one.

"No... but it must-" answered her friend but stopped in the middle of her sentence. She was looking something behind the girl. I looked behind the girl to see a tall hooded figure I hadn't notice before.

I knew what those creatures were. My father had told me all about them and their uses in the Ministry. They are called Dementors and they are sometimes used as a punishment to the traitors who are found guilty. That's because Dementors have the ability to suck someone's happiest memories and leaving you with nothing but the worst. Sometimes this might be even fatal in, which case it is called the Dementor's kiss.

I could feel the symptoms myself. It started with a cold body then moved on to a cold heart.

It seemed that the girl wasn't aware of what was behind her but she still felt some presence. Some instinct inside of me was calling for me to grab her and pull her away from the Dementor's view. It's not that I would do it, of course, but I did think about it for a second.

The girl turned slowly to face the Dementor. No sound came out of her, only we watched her levitating a few inches off the ground towards the Dementor with a motionless face. I hadn't ever seen a Dementor sucking someone's memories before but I was sure about what he was doing. The girl could hardly do anything at all, except try to scream. However, no sound of cry would come out of her half-opened mouth.

The symptoms of the presence of the Dementor were still there. In the darkness of it all, I can still remember a sound coming from the back of my head. It sounded like a stick hitting on flesh. Then a slap and a body falling on the bookcase. 

Then there was a discreet sound of lips sipping liquor from a glass and shouts behind the door. The worst memories. 

The lighting everywhere was dimmer now. I didn't know if it was my eyes playing tricks, but I felt everything turning black.

With the echo of the sip and the slap still in my head, I raised my eyes and I looked at the girl's face. It was light and bright. Like she was wearing a golden and silver crown. It is a feeling that I still hadn't explained to myself. I didn't even know her and yet I could feel her energy getting all over me. Our feelings were the same.

After a few seconds, the Dementor left the girl, she was ready to fall. I knew I didn't have to let her fall.

I automatically got up to prevent her from falling down. There were many questions bombing my brain but there was one that stuck out from the crowd: What would my father say if he learned that I had so much as touched a mudblood? But I had no choice now. And, I swear to God, I never regretted what I did, ever in my life. I pulled the girl away from the Dementor and lifted her up before I sat back to my seat. I placed her head to my lap. The girl had fainted.

I touched her cheek, her skin was so cold that I was afraid she was dead and the thought shot another wave of fear through my body.

The Dementor got out of the carriage and in a minute, the train started to move again.

"Let her go..." I raised my eyes to see her friend, that blond girl, talking to me. She was called Luna, I think. She looked very worried, of course, but at the same time, I noticed something bitter in her look. It was like Luna was afraid that I would hurt the girl that I was holding. Like I shouldn't be the one holding her now. "She needs air," she said quickly. I was still shocked. I couldn't speak. Two Ravenclaw boys came, took her off my hands and moved her seat. I was speechless. I couldn't move.