Chapter 97 - The Battle of Hogwarts • Mothers and Daughters

When I opened my eyes the light was blinding.

My first thought was that I was in heaven, but no, I had made that mistake one too many times to believe it was true. There was a man standing above me.

"Albus!" I said. When I stood, I looked below me and I felt the grass tickling my bare feet. I was all in white and Albus was as well.

"Annalise," he said and smiled.

"What is this place?" I said and looked around at the cloud-like environment. Somewhere close to us, I could hear the sea.

"Where do you think we are?"

"Heaven?"

"Maybe that's what you should call it. Maybe it's its doorstep," he said. "Would you like to walk with me? I think there is someone here who is most anxious to meet you," he said.

I followed him as we walked in the grass. I could see the sea in the distance.

"You know, I was in a similar place a few hours ago. But I was in Harry's mind. Not in yours. In his, we were in a station-like room. I like your choice better, if you would like my opinion. It's much more peaceful," said Albus.

"So this is all in my mind? It's fake?"

"Fake, it is not. You can be sure of that," he answered. "You know, I always knew you were a smart young lady. But the truth is that I saw more of Slytherin in you than Ravenclaw. But now I realise that the sorting hat was right after all. You are a very smart girl. I always knew you would find out what was the right way to kill yourself."

"This sentence was contradicting in so many levels," I said and smiled but didn't laugh.

"Maybe it was for an ordinary person. You know prophecies never get it wrong. The Lost Daughter was born. Lady you were meant to be and Lady you became, and a Dark Lord's daughter. Only you knew the key to his collapse. Thanks to you, retribution is ours," he said.

I knew that up until the last moment, I was the only one who knew that the only way to destroy the Horcrux inside me was by killing myself. A fang was helpful.

"The prophecy said in the end: Long may she reign. I never led anyone in the end," I said.

"Who said that you have reached the end?"

"So I can go back?"

Albus didn't answer at once. He stopped for a moment and looked at me with a smile.

"Your mother is here."

We had reached the sea now. The waves were just next to us. I looked around.

"I don't see her..." I said but when I turned back to Albus he was slowly walking away. "Albus!" I ran back to him. "Why are you leaving?"

"My job here is done. One last thing I would like to hear from you, is that you have forgiven me for the lies that I had to tell you. I hope that now - now that you've made the greatest sacrifice for the greater good - you understand that all I did, I did for the world."

"I know. I forgive you," I answered. "I will miss you," I said and teared with a smile.

"I will miss you, too, Lost Daughter. You wonderful, brave, smart young lady. It was my honor to call myself your friend, Annalise Riddle," he said.

"Goodbye, Albus. Goodbye, my friend."

I watched as he was slowly walking away.

When I looked around and took a deep breath to clear my mind from the bitter-sweet emotion of farewell, I saw my mother in the distance. She was wearing white, her feet were also bare. Her hands were softly touching the flowers as she walked through the meadow. Her gaze was sweet and calm.