Chapter 69 - Never

The winter came faster than ever that year. December found Hogwarts and Hogsmeade lying under an icy cold layer of snow. Christmas would arrive sooner this time, in some way.

The cheering was making its way from the Gryffindor Common Room to my ears at the Astronomy Tower. Like all the nights before, I remained hidden in the shadows, watching Draco sitting alone in a corner. The Gryffindor Quidditch team had defeated the Slytherin one in minutes. One of the main reasons for winning so quickly was the fact that Draco hadn't played that evening. I thought he was ill but all this time, I was hiding watching Draco gazing at the falling snow, he didn't show any sign of illness. What was happening to him? His face looked older and maturer. His face was paler, and his eyes were darker.

I didn't expect anything more or less than watching Draco crying again that night. This was exactly what I was doing every night that I went there. And that's what happened today, too. Today he was weeping even more. Roosting in his corner he had buried his eyes under his sleeve.

"She hates me either way, mother. There is no point doing it, now. There is no point anymore! She'll never forgive me for what I did and doing it will make things even worse," said Draco bitterly.

"You shouldn't care about what she feels about you. You should care about what you feel. If you love her, then you'll do it either way. If you love her, you won't let her die. Because that's what's going to happen if you are fool enough to think that there is no point doing it. You will do it. Not for you, but for her. Hurt her. Hurt her to save her," answered Narcissa.

I came back from the vision being confused. I didn't want to ask myself again about the thing that Draco has to do. I knew I couldn't have an answer.

I knew they were talking about me, though. At least I could ask myself how was Draco able to talk to her mother. I knew that the vision had happened only days, or even hours ago because I recognized the same shadows in Draco's face. So, how could he talk to his mother from the moment that he's miles away from home? He couldn't apparate. Even if he had passed his Apparation test (which is a few months away from now) he couldn't apparate in Hogwarts.

All these thoughts lasted only for a second for my mind was concentrated on something else.

"I'm so sorry..." Draco was talking to himself. "I'm so, so sorry..." he cried silently.

That was it. I had to go there. I couldn't stand that anymore. I knew that the reason that we broke up was really lame and that it wasn't a reason at all but I couldn't let the fact that he hit Harry pass by like nothing had happened. But now, I knew that he needed me. I couldn't know why but I couldn't do anything either. If I really had some strong feelings for him, I had nothing to do but be there for him at all times.

There were times when I thought that our story was over. But then I would see him like this and I would know this was not over. It would never end.

I walked slowly and silently. He didn't hear the sound of my steps and his head was still buried under his arms that closed around his legs. Then I kneed next to him and sat down. It was curious that he didn't feel that someone was near him. It was only when I touched his shoulder that he jumped scared and looked at me with his red eyes. Then he hastily dried all his tears and looked outside, avoiding my eyes like this was going to prevent me from realizing that he was crying. He stayed there for more than a minute.

"Do you at least want to talk about it?" I said, not enduring the silence anymore. Draco thought about it for a moment.

"I don't..." he started but then he changed his answer again. Then he turned to look at me and said; "I'm sorry about the other day. The way I spoke to you..."