Chapter 79 - Dead

"What do you mean he's dead?" I asked with my voice sounding weak while trying to hold back my tears, which at the moment I was struggling to believe were unnecessary.

I knew Harry had just told me the truth. But every single cell of mine wanted to believe that he was just joking. That he had made a mistake. There was no way Voldemort had done as he had warned and killed him when he found that Draco didn't kill Dumbledore, I said to myself. He didn't kill him. No, I wouldn't believe that for a moment. Yes, this was just a bad dream and I would wake up sooner or later. Yes, this whole story was just some sick joke that someone thought would be fun for me to hear. I refused to believe any of the things that the Prophet said. The papers were spreading all sorts of fake news nowadays.

Harry was ready to say something, but when he raised his head and saw me looking up at him with begging eyes, he knew that his answer would make me cry and get the attention upon us.

"Come with me," he said and pulled me from the hand. I didn't stop him. I didn't say anything. We were out of the tent only with a few steps.

"Harry, please, tell me that it's not the truth. Please tell me that there is no reason for me to be worried and that everything is okay and that the Prophet is just wrong. Please, do this for me. Say it," I begged quickly. I could feel my eyes getting wetter every moment and I knew I was ready to cry but I had promised myself that I couldn't cry for a lie. That I would hold my tears back.

"You would be hearing a lie," answered Harry simple.

"You are just lying. I don't know why, I don't know what I've done to you, but I know you're lying," I said. I was waiting for Harry to speak again, say something, something different than before but he didn't. He just didn't. And that was when I started understanding that I shouldn't have any hope of getting a different answer. So I let go of this silly promise I had made with myself and I started crying so hard and so loudly that I was sure they could hear me from the wedding.

"Harry, please, tell me that you just made that all up so you could find a way for me to forget about Draco. Tell me that you're lying and I swear I'll forgive you. And then make and excuse and apologize so we can go back to the wedding like nothing happened. And then-" I said crying, knowing that I was hopeless but still not caring, but Harry came up to me. And as soon as he touched me, I started hitting his chest for no reason at all. And, of course, I didn't have any strength at all so he seemed very calm and let me hit him. "Please, please, tell me you're lying! Please!" I begged still hitting him.

"Anne, listen to me," he said at some point, grasping my hands from my wrists. He looked deep into my blue eyes and spoke steadily. "Draco is dead. He was murdered. Your father killed him. He's dead. He's gone. I'm not a liar. Mr Weasley just told me," said Harry. I stared him for what seemed ages but I knew that only seconds passed before I started crying my eyes off again. Weeping and screaming.

"What happened?" I asked him, but my words could barely be described as words.

"The Malfoys reported an accident. That's why the Prophet never posted anything. But everyone in the Ministry knows that it was a murder. Voldemort killed him three weeks ago. He spared Lucius and Narcissa's life."

I knew it all along but if there was a moment I should break it was this one.

"It's my fault..." I muttered.

"How would it ever be your fault?" Harry had a tired look.

"My fault... He would have killed him," I whispered, senselessly.

"Anne..."

"It's my fault," I repeated and the tears were streaming hot down my face. "He would have killed him."