Chapter 9 - Dumbledore and his Secrets

Most students would be nervous about being outside the Headmaster's office. Well, that definitely didn't apply to me. I had been here so many times that's I didn't even consider it necessary for me to knock. Dumbledore must have known that I was waiting outside because the heavy iron door for his office opened widely just when I raised my hand to knock it.

"Come in, Anne! Come in!" I heard Dumbledore's voice from the inside

Like almost every time, he was standing near his desk. That night he was holding a book in his hands but I could feel that he was expecting me.

"I'm very happy to see you, Professor," I said as he was getting in.

"So am I, my dear Anne. So am I," he said embracing me when I reached him and patting me lightly on the back. "Please, sit," he said offering me the chair in front of his office and sitting opposite me. "How was your summer. You spent your holidays with the Lovegoods, if I'm not mistaken," he said putting some tea in the tea cups that were set on the desk.

"Yes, I spent it with Luna," I answered politely, while Dumbleodre gave me the tea cup, not caring asking me how much sugar I needed, since he already knew the answer after so many times I had drunk tea with him. No sugar for me. Only a touch of milk.

"Good people the Lovegoods," commented Dumbledore. I just smiled and nodded. "So, how are your lessons going?" he continued after a small pause.

"Everything is going just fine. It's a bit more difficult this year. I have added two more classes to my schedule but I guess I'll be okay with some luck."

"You don't need luck. You are one of the most intelligent witches I've ever met in my entire life," he said with a bright smiled. "Just the same as your mother," he added silently while lowering his eyes.

"What?" I asked half-closing my eyes as he automatically raised his head with wide-open eyes.

"Hm?" he asked, as if nothing happened but in his eyes, I could see the regret of letting something slip from your lips without even thinking about it.

"What did you just say?" I asked but he just stared with his eyes getting darker and darker every second. "What do you mean just like my mother. My mother was a muggle. How can you know, if she's smart or not? Did you... Did you know my mother? How could you know her?"

"I'm... I'm sorry Anne. I must have been mistaken. I didn't know your mother. It just... slipped. I don't know why I said that..." he said avoiding my eyes. And this way I knew he was lying.

"Professor, you must have had a reason for saying that. Did you know my mother? And if yes, then how?"

"What makes you think I have something to hide?" he asked but there was guiltiness in his voice.

"I don't know, sir. I don't like being so bold but I do see it. In your eyes," I said quickly.

"Well, I've told you the truth. It just came out without meaning anything. I don't know why I said that. Now, you can go back to your studies," he said quickly standing up and heading to his big library, acting like he was searching for a book.

"But, sir-" I made another effort but it was pointless.

"That will be all, Anne! You may go," he said quickly.

I sat immobilized for a moment, for Dumbeldore never treated me this rudely. After a few seconds, I stood up and started walking towards the door.

"You know that I know that you're lying about something," I said while I was walking out of the office, without stopping for a second to look back at him. But I knew that he had heard these last words and the last thing I cared about was if he was judgmental with me.