Chapter 66 - Jealous Liar

"I need someone to get her to me! Do you understand, Severus? I have to get my daughter back!" said the cruel voice that I hated so much hearing. Most times it wasn't a sign of a good vision. Voldemort circled Snape warningly.

"The girl is under Dumbledore's and the Order's protection for the time being. When the job is done, we will get her for you."

"And when will that be exactly?"

"Soon enough. The boy does an excellent job so far," answered Snape so-called airily.

"I can't count on that boy."

"Your choice, my Lord, is the best you could have made. It's a matter of time before he acts. It is, in my opinion, not a cause for concern," answered Snape idly.

"There is nothing more important, Severus! Do you understand?"

*     *     *

I had to stare at the empty blue ceiling for what seemed like hours to finally fall asleep in restless dreams, that woke me up the next morning. I opened my eyes quickly to see Luna getting dressed in her robes.

I was sure about what I had seen last night. It was the first time in months that I was able to remember a dream or a vision that was important and had to do with either Voldemort or Albus or even me.

"Morning..." she said cheerfully putting her converse shoes on.

"Good mor-" I said but something stopped me from completing the whole sentence.

"Anne?" said Luna in the image of me not being able to breathe.

I jumped out of the bed and I ran into the bathroom quickly, with Luna following me hastily, to land on my knees and puke everything that my stomach may have contained. After a minute of struggling to gag, I ended up emptying my stomach and then resting by leaning onto the tub.

"Are you okay?" she asked cleaning my face with some water.

"Um- I- Yeah..." I struggled to speak.

"Do you think that you'll be able to stand? I need to take you to Madam Pomfrey right now."

"No! Luna, don't worry, I'm fine. It happens a lot since last June. It's because I'm stressed out. It's not because I'm sick. I promise I'll be fine."

Luna didn't go further. She knew that from the moment I said something, I was too stubborn to change my mind. She was right to be worried; I hadn't told her what had happened last night.

Luna held me up and then she held me all the way down to the Great Hall for breakfast. As usual, she tried to trick me into eating some pancakes, but she was too nice, too sweet to make me.

"Don't get a bad example from your boyfriend," she said when she saw me pushing the plate away.

"What?"

"Draco didn't eat anything last night and he is not eating right now either."

I turned my head back to the Slytherin table where Draco was sitting alone and lonely. His plate and cup were full but he didn't seem to be touching anything. At the moment that I turned to look at him, he was pushing his own plat away, too, just like I had done seconds ago.

"You do notice everything, Luna, don't you?" I tried to smile.

Luna held my hand under the table and looked at me sorrowfully. "You should talk to him. It's unhealthy."

"He is not my boyfriend anymore," I said.

*     *     *

After our first DADA lesson with Professor Snape, everyone had left the classroom. There were only four people in the dark room; professor Snape, Draco, Harry and me. Professor Snape was quickly gathering some papers on his desk. He looked hasty to leave.

Draco was also gathering his books, but he didn't seem to be in a hurry. When he looked at Harry, who was conveniently talking to me, he slowed his moves as if to watch us talking, keep an eye on Harry as he was coming closer to me.

"Maybe a walk today? I'd be visiting Hagrid tonight but I think some air would be nice," he said. He knew Draco was watching and he liked to feel him noticing us, maybe feeling some kind of jealousy. Ever since I'd told Harry that I'd broken up with Draco he was doing everything he could to approach me, knowing that now, there was nothing practical keeping us apart.

I looked at Draco for a split second and noticed him watching with eyes half closed.

"A walk would be nice."

"Meet me outside the Great Hall or - or - I could take you back to your dorm to leave your bo-"

"Get your dating businesses somewhere else, Mr. Potter," snapped Snape.

Harry was already walking to the door with me but Draco found the chance to cut in and mutter a word next to Harry's ear; "Hanging out with your enemy, Potter? I would be interested to see what would happen when her father hears," he said from inside his teeth.

"PMSing out, are we, Malfoy? Anne has some taste," he fired back.

"Stop this," I said at once.

"That's a life riot, Potter!"

The boys were almost ready to start a fight again when Snape's voice distracted them.

"I see the Dark Lady has a gift making people fight each other - no doubt she took that from her mother. Having the Lost Daughter among us seems like McGregory is wandering the halls of the school again. The world is split because of her. Take your business out of here, loverboys. Not everyone has to hear about your adolescent mental illness," he yelled. "Not you, Mr. Malfoy. You stay," he said as we were walking out. Draco stepped back as we were closing the door behind us.

"Okay, are we meeting in half an hour outside the Great Hall, then?" Harry insisted as we were walking up the stairs.

"Yes, Harry. I'll meet you there," I said trying to find an excuse to go back in the classroom. "Hmm, I think I left a book back. I'll get it. I will meet you in half an hour, okay?"

I left without even waiting for an answer, probably left him wondering if I was telling the truth since I was so bad at lying.

I went back to the classroom but didn't open the door. I stuck my head to the wood and tried to listen to what Draco and Snape were talking about.

"-any idea how dangerous that would be?"

"I know-"

"No, you don't!" Snape yelled. "You better find a way to do it and stop whining as if the world is making circles around our stupid, lovesick self."

"I will-" he said.

"Do it now, Draco. The Dark Lord wants it done right now. He wants his daughter back."

"If doing it gets Voldemort his daughter back then I'll have to recon-"

"Reconsider? All for a girl? You better get your mind back into your head. Think about your family, you selfish son of a-"

"Wouldn't you do it, sir?"

"Sacrifice? For a girl? Deny my life? Condemn people who are depending on me?"

"Yes," answered Draco, straightforwardly.

"Never," answered Snape defiantly. "I might be your godfather but at the final moment, I will not be there to save you. Get over it. Get over yourself. I don't care about your feelings. You won't put everything in danger."

When I realised the conversation was coming to an end, I ran upstairs without a sound.

I would stop thinking about what I'd heard all day. It would confuse me and it would haunt me in my dreams. On the next morning, I would wake up in colds sweat, with the feeling of something terrible coming, terrifying my mind.

*     *     *

Vote & Comment & Follow

💙💙💙💙