Chapter 71 - Respect

It was about four in the morning when I woke up from my dream. I had seen that Draco was in the Hospital Wing. And when I ran down the halls and reached the Hospital I found him lying on a bed, with Madam Pomfrey standing next to the bedside table. His eyes were closed but when he heard my hasty steps, his lids opened.

"Annie?"

His voice was weak.

"Draco, are you okay?" I said landing on my knees next to his bed.

"I'm okay. It's just a fever," he said with a hoarse voice. I touched his pale forehead and it was indeed burning. "I'll be okay till tonight. I'll be able to get you to the Christmas party," he said slowly closing his red eyes like they were too tired to remain open.

"Are you crazy? I don't care about some stupid party! You'll stay here until you get better and I don't want to hear anything more about it!"

"I'm so sorry..." he said.

"Don't worry about it. I don't want to go anyway. I'll stay here."

"You should go... I'll be okay for an hour or two..."

I would answer but I realised that he had already fallen asleep. He seemed so tired. It was four o'clock after all. I couldn't feel tired. I stayed there all night until the sun rose up. I didn't even think about closing my eyes and taking a nap. I just sat there, only with a blanket, even though it was very cold, and watched him sleeping. I remembered when Luna said that he did the same for about three days when I was unconscious last year. I couldn't have done differently. I didn't want to. Even when Luna came to the Hospital Wing and told me that I should take some breakfast, I refused to leave him. I stayed there all day. After sunset, and after about half an hour that Draco was begging me to show up at the Christmas Party, I finally accepted, promising that I would be back in three hours.

It's not that the party was bad. It was quite amusing actually. But since I couldn't take my mind off Draco, every minute seemed like an hour. I was constantly playing nervously with a ribbon on my velvet green dress, wandering how Draco was right now or if he needed something. And the hubbub of the party wouldn't allow me to see a vision. I rarely spoke to anyone and if I did it was just because I had to be polite. Even when I took a photograph with professor Slughorn, I was forcing myself to smile.

Harry noticed from the first moment that Draco was nowhere in sight and, even though he knew that we were still together, he picked up some courage and talked to me.

"I don't see Draco anywhere near. Anything happened to him?" said Harry.

"He was very sick and he couldn't come," I said airily.

"Oh, you don't say..." he said looking around, so called naturally. "I hope he gets better soon."

"No, you don't," I said flatly.

"You're right. I don't," he said. "I was just thinking that, if I were in his place I would take you to the party even if I was burning because of the fever. I wouldn't let you go by yourself," he said.

"And how is that making me feel any better?"

"It doesn't. That's the point. Nothing gets better with this guy," he answered.

"Oh, don't be silly, Harry. Draco did want to come with me but I didn't let him," I said, sort of shouting.

Right when I made a step to go, we heard a shout coming from the entrance. Soon enough, we saw Mr Filch rushing inside, carrying with him no other than Draco. Filch pushed him inside holding Draco from his jacket.

"Get your hands off me, you filthy squib!" he yelled as he was trying to get away from him. But it was too late. Everyone had noticed his presence and got nearer to see what was happening.