Chapter 1 - Introduction

December 20, 1980

"She has her father's eyes."

The baby was finally asleep in the warmth of her mother's arms. The snow was falling on Godric's Hallow but the girl was warm enough in its mother's embrace.

"She is the loveliest," said Sophie looking at her baby with a loving smile on her face. Professor Dumbledore smiled at the sight of the mother holding her baby and didn't take his eyes off that wondrous sight while pouring some tea into teacups and offering one to Sophie. "And, yes, she has her father's eyes," admitted Sophie but her smile didn't fade, even though it was hard to think of her baby's father, the man she'd once loved.

"As blue as the sea," commented Dumbledore.

"Two years ago he was a handsome man. They say he has turned into a monster, now," said Sophie placing her daughter back into her cradle.

"So I've heard," answered Dumbledore drinking some of his tea to avoid Sophie's bitter look.

"I hope his eyes haven't changed," she said, looking only at her daughter.

Dumbledore didn't want to ruin this moment. He could feel the love that Sophie felt for her daughter himself. It was the same feeling that he had when he looked at her.

"Voldemort will find her at some point. You have been hiding for more than a year and a half. You can't keep her here with you. He is after you, Sophie," said Dumbledore looking Sophie right into her warm brown eyes, knowing that maybe it was not the right time to speak. However, he had to warn her.

"Anne is not even one-year-old. Who would hurt an innocent girl like herself? Especially Tom. He wouldn't hurt his one and only daughter." She had said this in the most hopeful way, once again, concealing the awful truth from Albus. Because it was true. Tom Riddle had already hurt the baby.

"He hurt you. This is what he wanted. He wants this girl. It's Voldemort we are talking about, Sophie. You don't want your daughter ending up in Voldemort's hands. He won't physically hurt her, but just imagine her, growing up with this man and his ideas. Her father or not, he is going to destroy her," he said and shook his head even at the thought Sophie's only daughter becoming a Death Eater. He shivered even at the notion. "You know I'm right. You'll have to admit it at some point. Every moment you spend in denial brings Anne to even more danger. Just so that you can hold her a minute longer..." Albus' words were harsh and stung.

"I know I will have to. But you know what that means, don't you?"

"You'll have to give your daughter away, yes," said Dumbledore. He knew that these words killed poor Sophie, who had gone through so many things in her life and avoided grave dangers. However, she had to know the truth.

"Is there no other way?" she asked and her eyes glistened with tears. "You could take care of her. You could protect her. Tom is after me and he will find me but he can never touch you."

"You and I both know that Voldemort has managed to hurt people who are near me. Anne will be more protected away from all this. In the Muggle world. Concealed," he answered reasonably.

"I am not like Lily. I don't have anyone I trust in the Muggle world. I hardly even have people I trust in this one." Suddenly Sophie was gagging for a breath.

"I will make sure she is loved in her new home."

Sophie turned to the window. She could feel it that she was in desperate denial. Of course, they would make sure Anne was safe and of course, she would be better concealed in the Muggle world. But every time she thought of handing over her child, a stab of pain pierced her. She was being selfish, she knew, and she hated herself for it. She was putting Anne in danger just to have another embrace with the baby. Just this night, she would say. Just another day and then I will give her up. Just another day, just another hug, just another laugh.

"You'll have to give her away. As soon as possible, while there is still time. Voldemort will find her. He is after you. You have spent almost two years hiding. How long do you think this is going to go on?" he said and his words were like a dagger to Sophie.

"I can't leave her," she said now crying hysterically.

"Soon enough we will have to choose between what is right and what is easy," said Dumbledore raising his eyebrows and looking at her above his glasses. "And retribution shall be ours," he said and these few words made Sophie calm down a bit.

"Retribution shall be ours," she said herself, settling down.

"Retribution shall be ours," repeated Dumbledore.

(Writer: Just remember these words, alright?)

*     *     *

Author's Note:

This story is also available in Spanish and Italian. You can find the translations in my Reading List.

2020 me: Okay, so. I wrote this story when I was really young. I was only 13 years old so, although the story has been edited and polished for you, both my writing and my interests were naturally premature. So if you feel like reading something a little bit darker and sophisticated, I have a new story called 'Saving Draco Malfoy'. It's in my profile, so you can save it and read it after this one!

'Never - The Lost Daughter' is mainly a story about sacrifice, love, hate, good and evil. Prophecies, charms, love triangles, adventure, you'll see all of these inside. You should know that I didn't want this to be just a love story. Love is certainly a very strong and important aspect of the story but there is also intrigue and pain and fight for the greater good and power (even though this is brought in later in the story). So you will see later on she becomes an extremely influential figure during the war. But more of that in the story.

Don't click away just because the main character is in Ravenclaw! Yes, it'll be a Draco Malfoy love story and I know many of you would think that Draco's girlfriend should be a Gryffindor to make the contrast seem bigger, and so it can be more tragic and dramatic, but I don't think so. I wanted to do something completely different. Besides, I made her a muggleborn for the beginning (I mean, it would be so fake if she was in Gryffindor AND a muggleborn). Not to mention that at some point she realises that she is Voldemort's daughter. I mean, how more dramatic could it be? On the other hand, if many think that being Voldemort's daughter is enough to get her in Slytherin, then this story will make many rethink of how the sorting works. Read on and you will understand why she is in Ravenclaw. I want to stay original!

Little things had to change. Luna's age had to change for the sake of the story, for example (basically, Luna is kind of out of character. Couldn't resist making her a bit spicier...) I am the first to think that we shouldn't change the original story but sometimes sacrifices must be made...

I also wanted to mention that I'm from Greece and English is not my mother tongue. That means that I'll probably make some spelling or grammar mistakes. So if you notice something wrong, it would be great if you could leave a comment and be sure that I'll correct it.

Also I have a prequel for this... Just saying...

*     *     *

Vote & Comment & Follow

💙💙💙💙