Chapter 15 - Truth and Other Lies

"I NEED TO KNOW THE TRUTH!" I yelled in fury but my words didn't seem to mean anything for Dumbledore. He had barely moved since I had started shouting, something that was making me even more upset.

"Whatever do you mean by truth? I do not understand what you are talking about," he said putting down his glasses slowly, with a gentle movement.

"Professor, ever since I've set foot in Hogwarts, I've known that you have been hiding something. The fact that I'm trying not to make it an issue does not mean I don't notice it!" I shouted but at the same time tried to calm myself down. The only thing I was managing by shouting was to make myself look even weaker.

"Miss Wallis, I can hardly-" he said and shook his head.

"Professor Dumbledore, I didn't want to push this further but you leave me no choice. I'm absolutely sure you're hiding something from me. I'm sure because I saw it," I said but these words didn't seem to explain anything to him. Could I had been so wrong? However, I continued. "I'm coming straight from my Divination class and-" I said as my voice was getting lower. But by the time he heard the word Divination, Dumbledore's eyes shoot up to search for mine, glimmering with a combination of fear and surprise. "I saw a woman handing over a child to you. And the child's name was Annalise. She said someone was coming for her. Am I crazy to think that child was me? 

"Divination?" he said and stood at once, not leaving his hands of the desk. "Did you say you were in Divination class?"

"I was. And I left because I saw something!" I said, surprised myself that he was finally interested in what I was saying.

"What exactly did you see?" he said and his eyes opened wider and wider.

"It was something like a dream but I wasn't sleeping. It was like a... vision," I admitted.

"A vision..." he said thoughtfully, finally moving from his place and walking up and down beside his big library. "A vision..." he repeated.

"Yes, a vision," I said, and wοndered why he was so interested at this. Having thrown in a world full of magic only two years ago, it didn't seem impossible to me that seeing visions was a frequent phenomenon. "What is wrong?" I demanded.

"It can't be... You can't have..." he said but it seemed more like a mutter to himself.

"Can't have what? What did I do?"

"Anne," he said and came up to me, placing his hands on my shoulders. "Insight is indeed not a very uncommon gift. But it is not a coincidence you have the power to see the future. This gift has been given to you by someone," he said.

"Given to me? By whom?" I asked.

"It's not a gift you can give with a simple spell, if that's what you mean. It is genetic."

"Genetic? How could they have passed a gift to me from the moment they were not able to possess it? They were just muggles..." I said half closing my eyes, unable to think of an answer.

"Of that, you're wrong... I have to admit I haven't been completely honest with you. There are some things you don't know about neither me nor you."

"And what are these things I don't know?" I asked with no hesitation, although I could feel the answer coming straight at me.

"It's simply hard to explain," he said and sat down to the steps that lead to his office.

"I have been left in the dark for a long time. I need to know the truth, whatever that is," I said and sat beside him.

Dumbledore thought about it for what seemed like ages.