Chapter 30 - Cedric's Death

"Great news," I heard Draco's voice behind me and his hand landing on my shoulder. Then he sat on the bench beside me at the Ravenclaw table.

Almost four and a half months had elapsed since the Yule Ball. People had finally gotten used to seeing Draco and me speaking in public. It had occupied people's mind for a long time – too long indeed.

"Uh-oh. I don't like news," I exclaimed at once and smiled, trying to ignore Pansy's eyes that were pinned on my back all the way from the Slytherin table. After all those months, this girl was still bitter about Draco and me dating. Draco found it easy to ignore her even when she was talking to him.

"Why do you always say that? I said good news!" he said and faked an offended face.

"Because you tend to make bad things look good. It's a gift, really," I said and Draco went back to his smirk.

"It's my redeeming quality and you love it," he smiled.

He was now distracted. He had noticed that I had my book placed on my empty plate. He smacked the book shut and hurriedly started filling my plate with whatever he could find on the breakfast table.

"What are you doing? Who is going to eat all those things?"

With the third task around the corner, my nightmares were often and terrifying. Every other day I woke up covered in sweat and with the feeling that death was standing right behind me. No amount of music in my ears or easy books could put me back to sleep. By morning, I would get sick with every smell – when I was sleepless, I couldn't even think of eating.

I was spending day and night over a book; reading but not reading. Thinking, searching, making scenarios and trying to see visions of the future. I was trying to find something – anything – that could help Cedric surviving this Tournament. I wouldn't forgive myself, if I didn't do something about the situation.

"You are. You're not eating enough and you know it," he said and forced some toast in my mouth. There were some really sweet and beautiful things he always did and I couldn't resist to.

"What are the great news you were talking about anyway?" I said and pushed the plate away, already feeling full. Draco noticed how I was trying to change the issue from food to something random and he knew I did this because I always felt uncomfortable talking about how much I don't eat anymore. So he didn't force the issue. His help was enough for today.

"Well..." he said, whispered and leaned closer to me. "I was just wondering... Where are you planning to spend your summer?"

"I... don't know, I was thinking of going back to London. Dumbledore said I could do whatever I wanted," I answered. "Why?" I said and narrowed my eyes suspiciously.

"I was wondering if you'd like to spend the summer with me."

"With you? With your family, in your house?"

"Yes. I talked to my parents and they agree. They want to meet that talented girlfriend of mine."

"You told them about my abilities, didn't you?"

It was something that in my fear and insomnia of the months passed, I had mostly forgotten. Nowadays, I was so absorbed in my thoughts of what I could do to save Cedric's life that I was slowly forgetting everything else, everything that closely concerned me.

"I did. This is our last chance of being together," he answered and gave me a kiss before leaving.

I didn't know if what I was doing was right, but I didn't want to stop. I would do anything to learn why Albus was so afraid and I wanted to learn the truth about me. I didn't know how letting the Malfoys know I'm a parseltongue could help me but I was willing to find out at any cost. I could say I wasn't afraid.