Chapter 2 - Hogwarts

Update as of 2020:

Even though I have finished this story for years now, I just love to go back to it from time to time to catch up with some of the comments that you leave. You guys have the best reactions ever! I love the funny ones and I adore it when you guys try to analyse what I have written and notice some small details! I will seriously read each and every comment and mark my favorites with a little blue heart. So don't be afraid to put down your thoughts in the comment, whatever they may be, because a very curious writer is definitely going to read them and appreciate them.

*     *     *

"I'm just so proud of you, sweetie..." my mother sobbed, wiping a curl away from my forehead. "Promise you will write to me and tell me everything about the new school. No detail spared. And take as many photographs as you can."

"I promise, mum. Wait for my owl," she gave me a tight hug, so tight I could hardly take a breath.

My parents didn't know anything about the new school - or owls. It had, after all, only been two months since we found out that I was a witch. When Professor McGonagall first brought me my admission letter for Hogwarts school for Witchcraft and Wizardry, it was hard for them to think that this was not a prank or a joke. Soon they had to believe the facts and started wanting to know all about the strange world that was waiting for me.

Especially mum; she was now fascinated by the idea. What is a wand? And what is that creature in that book Professor McGonagall gave you? Are there any pictures of Hogwarts? Dad, on the other hand, was more worried than proud. He found it hard to accept that I was to live away from them for a long time - especially since he knew nothing about the place I was going. However, he always wanted to best for me and later grew to love the idea of a new, magical life.

"We love you, honey." Dad hugged me, too.

"I love you, too." I kissed them both and got on the train, waving at them.

This would be a brand new start for me. No more being teased by kids at school. I would be with the ones that are like me. Nothing about me would be strange or odd.

It was terrible going to a school in which I felt so different. Even though the other students didn't know that I was a witch - well, I didn't either - they were always so... nervous when I was around.

There was a scary aura about me; that, along with small incidents that only now made sense; a bully that fell down by himself, a broken window when I was angry, the water that splashed on a mean girl's face while she was standing next to a water stand. All these incidents went back to as far as I could remember. Most of the times I would end up believing it was just my imagination going wild and so would my parents when I'd tell them. And that's because all these facts are explained by something that can't be controlled by ordinary people. Magic. Because what is in front of our eyes can't always be seen. The closer you look, the less you see.

The fact that I was a straight A's student didn't help much with my social life, since that made all my classmates jealous. They always called me the teacher's pet. The rest of the girls spent their school breaks braiding each other's hair while I would stay in the classroom reading a book or something similar to that nature.  

And then, of course, there were the premonitions; the feelings that some things were written in some old book and only waiting for their turn to appear in our world. Be careful, mum, I would say, don't stand here. A car is going to crash. Mum had looked around worried but the street was empty. Only when she took me by the hand anxiously and started walking back towards the house in the still of the night, we heard a loud, crashing sound behind us. Where we were standing, a car was no destroyed.