Chapter 51 - Room of Requirement

It was afternoon. Everyone was getting to their 2 o'clock lessons but I had a free period since my favorite teacher, Professor Trelawney, was sacked. She remained at Hogwarts, though, something that allowed us to take some extra – and secret – Divination classes in Trelawney's room.

I was walking through a corridor like a prisoner condemned to death. Umbridge had just set a new rule. That all the students' organizations were to be disbanded from now on. I never supposed that Harry was going to be afraid of some meaningless rule. Yet, this was none of my buisness. I didn't know what was happening in the Gryffindor Common Room. I never found out what they were planning.

And the visions - or the lack of visions - continued.

When I was trying to see my future, I was getting nothing. When I was searching for myself in the future of other people, people like Luna or Ron, I couldn't find myself anywhere.

It was then when it became clear to me that my time was coming to an end. I truly was going to die if I resisted to Voldemort.

I didn't have much time left; he needed an answer. If I fought back, I would die. If I didn't, I'd betray everyone around me and kill myself. No matter how the Order could protect me, I couldn't see me surviving.

"Hey, are you alright?" I saw Draco talking to me.

It was one of the moments that we were talking in public, getting everyone's eyes on us. They will get used to it, I thought. It scared me to think that I had been saying that for more than a year.

I could only imagine what they were thinking. If I liked spending time with Draco – the boy who is unofficially connected with Voldemort – why wouldn't I like spending time with Voldemort himself? And I thought that being with Draco wasn't any good for Draco's image either. He's bad, we know that. But being with the daughter of the Dark Lord makes him ever worse – even if it's not proved that she is a Death Eater. It's another perfect reason for everyone to call us Death Eaters. This went round and round and never stopped.

"Oh, nothing. I just need to see you. Can we go to the Astronomy Tower?" I said with a subdued voice.

"Actually, I'm in a hurry. I have double Potions now, but I can skip it if you want to." Of course, he could. And Snape wouldn't say anything. Anything at all...

"You don't need to do that. I'll be in the library after the classes to study. You could meet me there," I said. He nodded, smiled but didn't leave. Instead, he stood and examined my face.

"Baby, what's wrong?" he said after a moment. "You have been hiding something."

"Nothing I just need to rest for a while. Maybe I'll go to Madam Pomfrey, I feel like sick," I would tell him the truth but he said he was in a hurry for double Potions. I didn't want him to be late.

"Why do I feel like you're lying?" obviously he didn't care about Potions. These questions have long answers...

"Because it's true. I am lying..." I said. "I just can't stand this anymore..." My eyes watered. "Sometimes I feel like I should have said Voldemort that I don't want to follow him, so he could have killed me. The sooner the better," I talked really quickly but quiet. Not because I didn't want anyone to hear me but because I was struggling not to cry, the tears that had not yet come out were blocking my voice.

"Hey, what are you talking about? The Dark Lord is not going to kill you. Whatever you choose, we will find a way." He pulled me closer not caring if everyone was watching. It didn't surprise me that he still thought that I hadn't made my mind up about my choice yet. Deep inside him, I knew he wished for me to follow Voldemort.

"What I'm doing is simply selfish. I am postponing the time when I get killed because I am too afraid. Maybe everyone is right. Maybe I'm not doing it for the greater good? What if I'm doing it to save my ass?"

"Who is everyone? Who is saying these things?"

"No one-" I cut in.

"Well, you should tell no one that you're going through a lot of things right now. It would be meaningless, if you weren't taking care of yourself. How are you supposed to lead if you're dead? That no one doesn't know what kind of bravery it takes to be who you are. That no one doesn't know how much bravery it takes to take care of yourself. Don't listen to that no one. You are doing what is right. And whoever thinks you're selfish, can speak to me."

Suddenly I felt better. Weeks and weeks of torture had vanished for a moment only with a few of Draco's words. How did he do that?

"So much for the girl who put your life in danger last summer..."

"You left because you couldn't stand him in your life, Anne. Not because you're selfish. And it would be meaningless for me to blame you for it. You'd just learned you were Voldemort's daughter."

"If I couldn't stand him in my life last summer then I can't stand him in my life ever."

"You will do this for the Order. That's where bravery lies. You won't tell him that you don't want to become a Death Eater. That would kill you. You have to think about yourself. You must. And if you don't think about yourself, then please think about me. I wouldn't stand it, if you were gone. By Merlin, you mean so much to me!" he whispered. "It would be better if we were having this talk alone..." he looked around. "The Astronomy tower, tonight. Until then, feel good about yourself for once." He kissed my forehead and left. I turned and continued my way.

I felt refreshed and renewed. Draco knew exactly what to say and when to say it. He was always there to pick me up and if I was thankful for anything at that time, it was having him there for me. Trapped though I felt, it was always better with him.

I was walking along the now empty corridor when my eye caught something strange. I thought I saw the old wall racking but I thought it was just in my imagination and I continued my way. But when I turned to look, I saw the wall replaced by a huge door that I had never seen again.

I opened the door and saw an empty room full of mirrors. I went inside staring with my mouth open. The door closed behind me.

"You found it, Annalise, the Room of Requirement," Harry was standing behind me.

"The what?"

"The Room of Requirement. It's only revealed in those who are desperate for help. It appears only when you need it to. And it always has the equipment that you need. Don't you see? Hogwarts wants you to resist!" He looked at me.

"How can it be?"

"I don't care what you think but it's now that I won't leave you. You will be part of Dumbledore's Army. We won't tell anyone, only Hermione and Ron, but from now on, you'll be taking the same classes as all the other students. This is your time to show Voldemort that you are not afraid of him. Because this is what he's afraid of; bravery," he stopped. "Think about it. Tomorrow at 9 o'clock, you will be here for practice. I think you'll be able to know when Filch is coming or not, if you know what I mean." I remembered that he knew about my visions. It would make it so easy if I saw a vision of what I had to do now... "If you won't come then..."

"...you'll leave me alone," I added.

"No! I'm going to hug you and kiss you and tell you how important you are for everyone and how important it is for me seeing Voldemort's daughter fighting against her own father. I'm going to tell you that I need you to be here. I'm going to tell you that it is the most important thing for me right now, and I'm going to tell you that your bravery is what gives me courage to go on with this Army. Because it's just moving seeing you facing death. The only thing I'm not going to do is leave you alone."

"Please.... Don't make me feel like I'm special," I whispered.

"Oh, but you are special. For me at least."

*     *     *

Vote & Comment & Follow

💙💙💙💙