Chapter 26 - An Unexpected Task

The visions wouldn't stop. Sometimes I would see the same thing over and over again. Cedric lying dead on the grass and Voldemort coming back. Sometimes the visions would take the form of an image in my head that at times seemed to burn inside my brain. 

In the next few days, it was announced that the Tournament would go on as planned, only this time with four contestants. I was at a loss.

And Albus would do nothing! Absolutely nothing! Oh, how much that made me angry and worried at the same time! All the visions that I had revealed to him had already turned out true! What made him think that the last one wouldn't? What made him think that Voldemort wouldn't come back, or that Cedric wouldn't die? Did he need these things to happen so that he could believe in my visions?

"You promised. You promised me!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, not minding the heavily annoyed pictures of the former Hogwarts Headmasters.

"Technically, Albus Dumbledore said nothing when you asked him to promise you he would put an end to the Tournament, should the Champions be the same as you predicted. So technically-" said an ancient wizard on a wooden chair, looking at me over his painted glasses.

"Thanks for the help!" I shouted at the painting and the former Headmaster scoffed at how rude I was.

"It's not up to me," Albus repeated once more.

"And who is it up to? Just tell the Minister what I saw. I don't mind even taking a Truth Serum oath!" I said.

"We can't tell anyone about what you saw. It would expose you to great danger," Albus said inexplicably.

"Why!" I demanded. "What danger! I would only be telling the truth!"

"The Ministry won't want to hear that there is a chance of Voldemort coming back. They will not believe you. You have to trust me on this," said Albus calmly, not stirring one bit from his armchair.

"I-"

"Do you trust me?" he asked demandingly. My silence was his answer. "I promise to take every single precaution that I can. I give you my word that I will check and doublecheck for any tiny hiccup. I will make sure the Tournament is safe for the Champions."

"Yeah? By putting dragons for a first task? You're trying to kill them off before Voldemort does?" I said quickly, slamming my hands on his desk.

"How-" Albus took a second to put the pieces together. "It's not healthy using your gift for anything at all. It could take a toll on you."

"Let me worry about the visions. You have more pressing matters now," I snapped and sat heavily on a chair opposite him. 

Albus stood slowly, walked steadily to me and laid a hand on my shoulder.

"I will do everything I can to protect the boys. You have my word."

However much I doubted Albus these days, this reassurance offered a moment of comfort. Truth be told, there wasn't much more I could do. I had thought of impossible plans of warning Cedric, giving him a sick pastille or breaking his hand by accident the day of the task. None of these ideas seemed to give me an alternative result when I tried to measure the future.

Albus sensed my fear, yet didn't know what to say himself. He looked down to me with his casual warm look. How could anything go wrong when you are standing next to the most powerful wizard of all times? I was starting to feel safe.

"Here..." he said warmly and calmly as always. "Have some tea."

While he was pouring me some water and waiting for the leaves to turn it brown, I took a leap of faith and spoke.