Chapter 16 - Secrets Coming Out

A few nights had passed and the burden of trying to hide the truth from Luna was growing bigger. My recent behaviour couldn't have escaped her notice. But come to think of it, I guess she had realized there was something wrong with me before I even realized that I was acting oddly. Of course, she would. She always had her way of understanding my mood, my feelings or even my thoughts.

On the fifth night, I had a dream that really shook me. I could hardly remember anything in the morning but I was pretty sure it was me telling the truth to Luna. And that's when I understood that my subconscious was telling me to trust my best friend and trust my secret to her, too. I had been daydreaming all day in every class. Of course, she had noticed that I was worried about something and that my mind was somewhere else that day. However, she asked if there was something wrong one time and one time only. When I shook my head and smiled, she just understood that it wasn't the right time for us to talk about it and didn't mention it for the rest of the day.

When noon came, I persuaded myself that there was nothing to fear, neither her reaction nor her trustworthiness.

"Luna, I need to talk to you," I finally found the courage to say.

I led her to the safest place I could think of. I didn't trust the Common Room whatsoever. The Great Hall was out of the question. The only place I could think of was the girl's bathroom, the silent one in the West Wing. It was late at night and no one would be there. Of course, I checked every toilet first to be sure no one was inside.

And then I confessed to her. I told her everything I had learned from Dumbledore. About him being my godfather, about me being adopted. About my mother.

When I was finished, she looked at me and simply smiled.

*     *     *

I felt lighter the next day. For about a week I felt as if there was a heavy necklace around my neck wherever I went and I couldn't get it out. But ever since I told Luna I felt as if that necklace had been lightened if not disappeared. It felt as if the day was going to be wonderful.

Up until I walked into the Great Hall.

A hundred eyes turned to look at me as I stepped in. It was as if the Hall had silenced a bit. I glanced the tables and as soon as my eyes met with the students' eyes I felt this little lump sticking in my throat. Every house was reacting in its own way he Slytherins were whispering into each other's' ears, my fellow Ravenclaws could hardly be read, while some Gryffindors were even smiling at me. I think the Hufflepuff couldn't care less about me and even though they had noticed my entrance, they continued talking and discussing after a long pause.

I swallowed and went to my table wondering what this behaviour might mean. Could it be that they knew my secret? Was it all in my mind? Everyone was freshly back from their Christmas holidays and I found it could be only natural that they were catching up with each other. I hardly found the time to think about these things when Jack, my friend from Ravenclaw, sat beside me.

"Hey, Anne. How are you?" he said quickly sitting beside me but he continued without even expecting an answer from me. "I heard, by the way."

"Heard what?" I asked.

"Come on, the whole school knows..." he said but for some reason, he acted more than casual.

"Knows what, Jack?" I insisted but deep inside me, I knew what he was talking about. I just didn't want to believe it.

"That Dumbledore is your godfather. Don't you play the fool to me. It's the only thing the school has been talking about since last night! You're famous..." he said and lifted his eyebrows.