Chapter 62 - Lupin

Since the Minister had just resigned, the Entrance Hall was already crowded with photographers. People were running to and fro in panic. Who was to succeed him, no one could tell. Despite his flaws, the Minister had been overtly popular during the last few months that he was in office and pretending like there was no war going on, leaving everyone else overshadowed.

And in the crowd, I appeared. Some would later call it a political statement to come to the Ministry on that very day, but the truth was that it was pure chance and luck.

As if arranged, the reporters stood before me, waiting for my first words. It had to be a short speech, with catchy phrases that would make the front page. There was one phrase in particular that I wanted to remind everyone. I wanted to see it printed with bold letters on the Daily Prophet the next day - otherwise, it would be all for nought.

I silenced everyone with a motion of my hand.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I feel touched that you've gathered here today. I wouldn't expect all of you to come here to hear a student speak. I have learned that there have been many talks and theories since my first public outing in St. Mungo's Hospital yesterday. There were speculations about what I was doing there, some of who reach way beyond what one would expect a 16-year-old student like myself to muster; some said that I was there to help the sick and in need as a part of my political campaign to run for Minister, some even called it a political rouse! And although helping those in need is something that wouldn't be far from what I intend to do from now on, I must disappoint all of you. It would be foolish to expect someone as young or as inexperienced as me to try to run for Minister - much less to devise plans and pull political stunts to win over the public. No, the truth is much plainer; I was there for my own health, which has been compromised by the acts of my own father.

"I imagine that all of you know what happened in this very Hall some weeks ago. And I suspect all of you want to know what I will do next. Well... I intend on returning to Hogwarts and continue my studies. I intend on helping my friends if they have any questions on Potions and Transfiguration... Lastly, when the time comes - and it will come sooner rather than later - I intend on helping my friend Harry Potter fight some dark wizard who wants to take over this world. In other words, it will be business as usual.

"Yes, I must admit, there was no need for any statements for nothing has changed. If it needs to be said in words and not necessarily in actions, here it is; I - like my mother - will fight with this world until my last breath.

"And retribution shall be ours."

*     *     *

After the Ministry Mr Weasley took me back to the Burrow.

People might have expected to see me shook or at least excited, but somehow I was in perfect tranquillity. Somehow, this speech came naturally to me. I hadn't planned everything through, hadn't rehearsed much, hadn't even gotten much sleep, yet, somehow I thought of it as a success.

"You are going to say with us for the rest of the summer and this is out of the question. You might have gained yourself many followers today but there is no way You Know Who didn't hear your speech. Soon enough he will be searching for you to stop you before you make him more enemies," said Mr Weasley.

"I don't want to be any bother."

It was true, but it came as a relief that they would want to help me now. I didn't want to go back to St Mungo's any time soon.

"Trust me you are not. Now go upstairs and get some sleep. You look exhausted," said Mr Weasley, acting more like a father than a friend.

I was expecting to see an empty room and a warm bed. After a sleepless night of worrying about both important and unimportant things, I truly needed to rest.