156: The One Where Toni Adopts her Sister

TONI POV:

I walk up to my parents house and my little sister is being carried up to an ambulance. I moved out a few years go after I went to college, I shouldn't have left my sister home with them. I look at my mom. "What the hell is happening?" I ask her. "Mom!" I stop her from getting into the ambulance with her. "What the fuck happened?" I ask again. "Ah! I don't know, we were having fun and I turn around and she's passed out." I sigh and get it the ambulance with my sister. "I'm her mother." She says. "Yeah but you're a shitty one." The EMT closes the doors and we go off. "What happened?" I ask him. "Ah, you're sister overdosed on cocaine." He says like it's nothing. I grab my phone and call Cheryl. "Hello?" She ask picking up. "My sister and I are going to the hospital. My parents let her snort coke and I happened to get to the house before my mom got in the ambulance with her. I need you to come to the hospital. I think it's time." I explain.

Cheryl walks into the hospital. "You sure you want to do this?" She ask quietly. I nod. "Do you have the paperwork?" I ask her. She hands me the paperwork. I look at my mom. "I need you to sigh this." I whisper. "What is that?" She ask quietly. "You obviously can't be trusted with my sister! So I am adopting her." I say quietly. "No." She says quietly. "Sign the god damn papers before I take this to court and you have to spend your money on something other than coke and alcohol." I say frustrated. "She's my daughter!" She yells. "So am I and I've been in and out of foster care for along as I can remember because you and dad were to doped of fuck knows what!" I yell. "Sign the fucking papers! Both of you! Cheryl and I I already did." I hand them to her. Both my parents sign the papers. "Great now leave." I smile. "What?" Mom ask quietly. "Leave." I say again. "Before I get security." I add. "Fine. Come on Leo." They both leave. "Fuck! We're parents now!" Cheryl whispers. "We don't have to send in the paperwork if you're not ready." I tell her. She smiles. "Oh no. We're doing this." I kiss her. "We're parents!" I say happily. "Well, legal guardians. Not parents but yes." I smile. "If we fuck this up, life is gonna be shit for everyone." The nurse walks out. "Topaz!" I walk over to me. "Summer Topaz?" She ask quietly. "That's my sister." I whisper. "Are you the legal guardian of Summer?" She ask. "Soon yeah. I just signed the paperwork this morning and my parents did just now." I tell her. "Ok." She smiles. "Is she ok?" I ask quietly. "Yeah. She might have some brain damage but she didn't take ingest a lot, just enough to overdose but that's nothing compared to adults." I look down. "Can I see her?" I ask quietly. "Yeah." I look at Cheryl. "I'll go wait out here." She nods. "Yeah." I walk into her room. "Hey kiddo." I smile. I sit down next her. "Where is mommy?" She ask quietly. "Ah! Not here. You're gonna be staying with me and Cheryl for now." I tell her. "Why?" She ask quietly. "Because she's the reason you're in here." I whisper. "What about daddy?" She ask. "Same thing." I say taking her hand. "How are you feeling?" I ask quietly. "Better." I smile.

I put all of Summer's stuff in the back of my truck. "Toni don't take her from me!" Mom yells. "You almost killed her!" I yell. "This is all your fucking fault! Fuck you!" I push her away. "I want you as far away from Summer as possible and I hope I never see you or dads face again." I whisper. "She's my daughter!" She says pissed. "Yeah! But you treat her and me like we're nothing and treat cocaine addiction like it's the best thing in the world!" I yell. "I hate you." I tell her. "You're literally one of the worst parents in the world and I hope you rot in hell!" I say getting in my truck. "Fuck you ma!" I drive off. I go home and bring Summer's stuff into the house. "Cheryl I'm home!" I yell. Than I remember Cheryl is at the hospital with Summer. I put my keys on the counter. "Never mind." I smile. I walk into the kitchen and see a note.

Lasagna in the fridge, heat it up or don't. I don't really care.

I smile and get the lasagna. I don't feel like heating it so I just eat it over the sink like a broke college student. I walk into Summer's new room. I smile. "She's gonna hate this room." I laugh.

I walk into Summer's hospital room. "Hey kiddo!" I smile. "Come on! Let's get you home!" I pick her up. "With mommy?" I shake my head. "No, we're gonna go to my house. Remember?" She nods. Cheryl grabs her stuff and we leave. I put her in the back and look at Cheryl. "You ok?" She ask quietly. "Yeah I got all her stuff into her room. This is- this is real!" I whisper. She nods. "Yeah. You ready?" She ask quietly. "Yeah! Never thought this would be real." She smiles. She kisses me. "Can we go home!" Summer ask pissed. "Yeah!" We get into the truck and drive off. "Wait so. Mommy is no longer my mommy?" She ask quietly. I nod. "Why?" She ask. "Because she didn't treat you well. She didn't treat either of us well." I tell her. Cheryl takes my hand.

"Why is mommy bad?" Summer ask quietly as I tuck her into bed. "You remember that time mommy and daddy went away for a while and left us at the park?" She nods. "Normal parents don't do that." I tell her. I take a deep breath. "Come on! Go to sleep, you have a doctors appointment tomorrow." I whisper. "Why?" She ask. "Because mommy let you take something you shouldn't have." I say. "What about daddy?" She sits up. "Same thing, both of them are horrible and I should have gotten you out of that house sooner." I say feeling really fucking guilty for what happened. "Go to sleep." I whisper. She nods and lies down. I take a deep breath. I kiss her cheek. "Goodnight kid." I stand up and leave her room. "You ok?" Cheryl ask quietly as I walk into the kitchen. "I should have gotten her out of the house faster." I whisper. "I'm sorry, if I threw you into this! I really didn't mean to." I say quietly. "Toni. I was the one who suggested we do this." She says. "Oh shit! You're right." I smile. She pulls me into a kiss. "I love you baby."