107: The One On Vacation

TONI POV:

We decided to go on a vacation to my grandparents cabin in Maine. We're standing outside. Cheryl rubs my cheeks. "I love you baby." I whisper to her. "I have to go." She whispers. I stand there as Cheryl walks away obviously in tears. "Cheryl!" She doesn't stop. I decide to give her a minute, knowing she needs it.

"Cher." I sit next to her on the dock, she looking out at the water. "I'm sorry." She tells me. "But we've said that before." I whisper. "I know. I panicked." She whispers to me. I rap my arm around her and pull her closer. "Don't panic." I whisper to her. "I know." She whispers. "I love you too." She smiles a little. She takes my hand. "What made you panic?" I ask quietly. "Jason." She whispers. I look at my phone and realize what day it is. My heart drops. "Oh. I'm sorry." I whisper no really knowing what to do or say. "I completely forgot." She sits up a little. "It's fine. I really enjoy being with you and honestly it's better being at a lake that my brothers body wasn't dropping in than at one he was." I look at her. "You haven't been ok since." She shakes her head. "I really don't want to talk about it right now." She gets up and walks back to the land.

The fireworks go off on the lake we're staying at. I pull Cheryl closer to me. "I know this day usually sucks for you so here." I pull a ring out. "So I figured I should make it a little better." She looks at me. "Will you marry me?" I ask just above a whisper so only she can here. "That's a stupid question." She kisses me. I pull her closer and kiss back. "I love you." I whisper. "Ok, I'm gonna go run off now." She jokes. I laugh a little. "I love you too." She whispers. I place the ring on her finger. We kiss and watch the fireworks. Cheryl falls asleep in my arms. I pick her up when the show ends and bring her into the cabin. "Did she say yes?" Veronica ask. I nod. Her and Betty are here to. She claps excitedly. "Shh!" I go to our room, lie Cheryl on the bed and lie next to her. "This is great." She whispers. "I'm happy. This is the first. Especially around this time of year."

5 months later

Our wedding is in 7 months. We're still deciding who is going to be there. We're sending out invitations next week. Cheryl and Betty have been doing the invitations. I would help but yesterday I tried and ended up spilling my coffee all over half of them. I walk into the kitchen where they are working. "Hey babe." She looks up at me for a second. I look down and see a invitation set to the side from everyone else's.
                          Penelope Blossom.
       12 Mark Drive. Norwalk Connecticut.
"Are you sure?" I ask quietly. She looks at me. "I don't know that's why it's on the side Toni!" She tells me slightly frustrated. She's obviously overwhelmed. She's still on the fence about her mom coming. I don't blame her. "Honestly, I know you want her there, because who doesn't want their mom there? But she's put you through hell. That's all I'm going to say." I walk out.

I knock on the door. The door slowly opens. "It's you." Penelope looks at me. "What do you want?" She asks looking pissed. "In July, Cheryl and I are getting married. I know you don't really want to think of that. But Cheryl wants you to be there, honestly I don't. But it's not my decision to make. Cheryl wants you there than she wants me. She won't admit it because she hasn't forgiven you. But I just wanted to give you this." I hand her the envelope with her name on it. "I really love her, I don't know how I got so lucky. If you don't want to be there that's ok too. But I think it would be a good time for the healing process to start. Cheryl wants our future kids to have a grandmother." I tell her. She looks at me with tears in her eyes. I've never seen genuine tears from her. "I'll consider." She tells me. I sigh in relief. "Thank you." I nod and go back to my car. I take a deep but shaky breath. That went better than I was expecting. "You should get off my property before I change my mind and call the police." I hear Penelope yell from her door. I start the car and drive home. "Cheryl I'm home!" I yell. "Where were you?" She concerned as I walk into the kitchen. "Fangs needed me to settle a argument with Sweet Pea." I lie. "Are you ok?" I ask quietly. "I got a call from the adoption agency." She takes my hands. "Really?" I ask about you cry. "We can pick our son tomorrow morning after 10." I hug her. "We're gonna be a family." We decided to adopt. His name in James, he's 5. He's had a rough childhood. We've met him a few times and he's coming home. "I love you." I whisper. "I love you too." I kiss her slowly.