137: The One With The Talent Show

CHERYL POV:

Kevin and I are in the auditorium doing auditions for the talent show. There is 5 minutes left. "No one else is coming." I say quietly. "5 more minutes." He whispers. That's when we hear the doors burst open. "Sorry I'm late!" We turn around and see Toni with her guitar in her left hand and her skateboard in the other. "Sorry, I had detention and had to run home to grab my guitar." She says running over to us. "I'm sorry. Is there still time?" She ask nervously. Kevin looks at me. I sigh. "If you do this and you get into the show are you going to show up late?" I ask. "N-no I had de-." I stop. "Go up and show us before I change my mind." She quickly goes up and tunes her guitar. "She's not on the list though." Kevin says. "Yeah but she's hot and I think she can actually sing." I whisper. She sits on the stool. "What song on you gonna be singing?" I ask. "I ahh... will- will be s-sing Landslide b-by Fleetwood Mac." She says panicking. "That's great! You don't need to panic though." I tell her. She nods and starts playing. It's amazing. She's really good. Once she's done she gets up and starts packing her stuff. "We'll call you." She looks at me me. "Wait does that-." I stop her. "Yeah. It's Saturday night at 7 but be here at 6." She nods. "Thank you." She smiles. "And dress nice. You don't have to show up in a suit and tie or anything like that! But don't show up in a sweatshirt and shorts." She nods. She leaves quickly. "Well, she's a ball of anxiety." I say looking at Kev. "We should put her with Veronica." I nod. "I'll talk to them."

"Cheryl!" Toni awkwardly walks over to me. "What's up?" I ask quietly. She looks at me not thinking she would get this far. "I- I- I don't know if ahh... I don't know if I can umm do the- the t-talent show." She stutters out. "Why?" I ask concerned. "I- I just get nervous on- on stage." She whispers. "Would you be better with someone on stage with you?" I ask quietly. She thinks for a second. "M-maybe. Who were- who were you ahh... thinking of?" She ask quietly. "Come on." I close my locker and start walking to Veronica. "Hello." She smiles. Toni turns around nervously trying to act like she's not here. I pull her into the conversation. "You were looking for a partner for the show right?" Veronica closer her locker. "Not really." Toni starts to walk away but I grab her bag, pulling her back. "Well, Toni here is a little nervous when it comes to performing and I think it would be a good idea if you guys got together and worked together." I smile. V nods. "I can do that, you play guitar right?" Toni nods nervously. "Can you sing?" She nods again. "I think we can figure something out, give me your phone." She reaches her hand out. Toni pulls hers out and V puts her number in it. "Meet me in the rehearsal room after school today, there is a spare guitar in there so you don't have to go home." Toni nods and walks away immediately. Veronica looks at me. "Is she ok?" She ask concerned. "I think she has some stuff going on at home, I don't know, I have math with her she only talks to Sweet Pea and he keeps suggesting she stay with him." I whisper leaving some stuff out. "Be easy on her!" She nods. "Of course." I smile. "And I don't think she has a lot of friends. So try to be friends with her."

TONI POV:

"Can you at least go with me? You don't have to stay!" I ask Sweet Pea. "You'll be ok!" He whispers. "Veronica is cool! Trust me! I dated her for a week." He tells me. "Why did you stop dating her?" I ask. "There was no spark! We're just good friends." He whispers. "I'll go with you but I'm not staying!" I nod. We go into the rehearsal room. Veronica notices and looks at us. "Hey Toni." She smiles. I just stand there awkwardly. "Hey Sweet Pea." He smiles like an idiot. "Hey." He waves. "I'm gonna go." I shake my head. "Please!" I beg. "I have football! When you finish text me." He whispers. I take a deep breath. "She's not as scary as you think!" He says walking. "I- I don't I don't- I don't think you're- you're scary." I say nervously.

VERONICA POV:

Toni plays with her bag strap. "I know." I smile. "Grab a guitar! They are probably out of tune, so you'll have to tune one." She nods and grabs it. She sits down and tunes the guitar. "How's Sweet Pea?" I ask. She stops. "He's ahh... g-good." She says quietly. "Why are you so anxious?" I ask bluntly. "W-what?" She ask quietly. "You're so anxious, why?" I repeat myself. "I don't- I don't really know." She shrugs. "I've never fit in, I don't know." She says quietly. "You and Cheryl seem to get along..." I say quietly. "Aren't we suppose to be practicing?" She ask quietly. "Yeah." I smiles. We practice, she's good! She can play and sing. "You're good Topaz!" I smiles. "Y-you're not that bad either." She says awkwardly. "You sure you want to perform with me?" She ask quietly. "Yeah! You're good." I smile. "Can we be done for today?" She ask quietly. "I have homework." She gets up. "Y-yeah." I nod. She grabs her bag and leaves.