118: The One With The Middle Name

CHERYL POV:

I look down at our new born daughter Rosie. "She looks just like you." I look up at Toni. "Well, I did have her so I hope so." She smiles. "She has Sweet Pea's eyes. You should have seen him as a baby, they could be twins." Toni strokes Rosie's hair. "Do you think people are going to wonder why her middle name is Jason?" I ask looking up at her. "Yeah, but it's her middle name it's not like we named her Jason." She reminds me. "Yeah you're right." I whisper. "She's so cute!" I kiss her cheek.

I hold Rosie as Toni get some sleep. I sit on the bed and place her on a pillow. "Hey sweet girl." I smile as Toni rolls over to see her. "How long have you been up with her?" She ask quietly. "Not long. But she's up now." I whisper. "It's 4 am." She looks at the clock. "Yeah, she'll be asleep in like an hour." I whisper. She sighs and rub Rosie's stomach. "Totally worth it." Toni smiles. "Yeah." I smile. I tickle the my daughter lightly. She giggles a little. "Aww!" Both our hearts melt. "I could just stare at her for hours." I whisper. "We've pretty much been doing that for a week now." Toni jokes. "Yeah. But still." I smile. "I love you." I whisper. "Me or the baby?" She ask quietly. "Both of you. But I'll actually get a response from you." She kisses me. "I love you too." She whispers.

15 years later

"I'm sorry." Toni whispers. "Don't be." I finish signing the divorce papers. "You did nothing wrong." I whisper. I hand the papers over to the lawyer. She gets up and starts to walk out but She looks back for a second. "Take care of our daughter." I nod not wanting to lose her. I can't lose her. After Toni lost her job, she went back to her drug issues. I couldn't be there for it. "Cheryl I'm sorry. I'm getting help!" She whispers. "You said that 10 years ago and look at us now. You almost died." She nods and leaves.

"Mom." I look up from my coffee to see Ro. "Hey sweetheart. What's up?" I ask noticing she seams off. She looks down. "Ro..." I walk closer to her. "What's wrong? Talk to me!" I cup her cheeks. She shakes her head and starts crying. "Sweetheart!" I hold her. "Talk to me." She and her boyfriend broke up last week and I don't think she's taking it well, doesn't help that Toni and I's divorce finalized the same day. "What's wrong?" I ask quietly. "Everything with you and mom." She whispers. She looks down embarrassed of what she just said. She starts taking short breaths. "It's ok!" I try to calm her down. "Look at me!" I whisper. She looks up. She's obviously having a panic attack.  "You're ok!" I hug her. Her breathing becomes uncontrollable. I take her to the couch and we sit down. She sits in my lap and cries. I rub her back knowing there's not much I do right now except tell her everything is going to be ok. "It's ok." I whisper to her until she starts to calm down. She falls asleep on me. I just sit there and wait for her to wake up.

I wake up to see I'm covered in a blanket and lying down. I look over and see a note.

Mom, I went to go see Sweet Pea. I just need to clear my head and I just needed to talk to someone that wasn't you or mama. Text me when you see this. I'll come home immediately if you need me too
-Ro

I take a deep breath and rub my eyes. I get up and get in my car. I text Rosie to tell her she can stay there but be back by 6. I also text Veronica telling her I need to talk to her. I drive to her and Archie's house. I go to the door and Veronica opens before I can knock. "Cheryl, what's wrong?" She ask quietly before letting me in. "I think I messed up with Toni." I whisper. I sit down on the couch. I don't say anything, she just gets me some water and sits in front of me. I take a deep breath. "What do you mean?" She ask breaking the silence. "Ro needs both her parents. Toni's back in rehab. I still love her, I don't think I should have filed for divorce. I can't live without her, I thought I could. Every day gets worse and worse without her." I explain to her. She's about to say something when my phone rings.

TONI POV:

I look at the drugs in front of me. I need to get better. I tell myself. I take a deep breath. I just need to feel numb. I take a shot and swallow the pills. I get up and try to walk out of the bathroom but fall against the door. "Fuck!" I groan. I lean against the bath tub and wait for everything to be over. I don't know what happened next but next thing I know I'm in the hospital, but it's not like a normal hospital. It's quiet and everything is white. I look over and see my mom. "What are you doing here?" I ask quietly. "You're supposed to be dead." I sit up. "Why do you think you're talking to me?" I look at her. "No. I have to get better!" I tell her. She walks over to me and cups my cheeks. "You've grown up so much." She whispers. "You have to make a decision." She tells me. "You can get better and try to resolve your relationship with Cheryl." I look at her. "Mom." I whisper holding back tears. "Or you can stay here." She moves hair out of my face. "I don't think Cheryl and Rosie will be ok without me, but I don't know how much longer I can go without her." I whisper. "I think you just figured it out." She whispers. "If I go back, I'm not going to be able to live with myself without asking." I whisper. "I've been taking care of Jason for Cheryl. Like she's been taking care of you for me. He's doing ok here." I nod. "I love you kiddo." She kisses the top of my head. I pull her into a long hug. "I don't want to leave you." I whisper. "I'm ok up here." She whispers. "You can let go home now." She kisses the top of my head again. "Just please get better so the next time I see you it's because you lived a long and happy life." She smiles. "Say hi to dad for me." She whispers. I nod. I lie back down on the bed and wake up in the actual hospital. "Mom." I whisper. I take a deep breath. "Toni." I look over and see Cheryl. "I'm still your emergency contact." She whispers. I nod. "What happened?" I ask quietly. "You overdosed. Luckily Fangs came home when he did." I nod. "Jason is safe." I whisper. "What?" She looks up. "You're going to think this is crazy but I think I died for a minute. I saw my mom. She's looking after Jason for you." I tell her. She looks down, smiles slightly and nods. "Thank you." She whispers. "I'm going to get help. I know I said that in the past but I mean it this time." I whisper. "I want to make everything better." I tell her. She nods. "I would like that." She smiles. "How's Rosie?" I ask quietly.