139: The One Where Their Kids Get Hurt

CHERYL POV:

"That's not my son." I say quietly. "Ms. Blossom. We saw it on camera. You're son Tommy hit another student." The principle shows me the footage. "Ok you were right that is my son. Just not the right one." I say. He looks at me. "Tommy Topaz-Blossom right?" He ask. "That's Jason. Tommy is black and looks nothing like his brother." He sighs in embarrassment. "I'm so sorry. The teacher who saw it must have mixed them up since I don't think she has either of them! Luckily I personally haven't actually talked to him yet. I'm so so so sorry about this. It's only the first month I haven't learned everyone's names yet and this is my first year working here." He apologizes. "It's ok! Happens! I do the same." I whisper. "I just call the parents when something happens. Let me call the guidance counselor and tell her." He does that and apologizes. "Anyways! Yeah umm... your son Jason hit another student." He says awkwardly. I look at Toni who's been quiet the whole time. She's not good with this stuff she deals with the sports, pep talks and just regular talks. I deal with the kids health, emotionally and physically, punishments and academics. "This is is ahh... very off character." The principle says. "I'm looking at his records and there isn't anything, for either of them!" He says. "No it's not." Toni and I both say. "He doesn't usually do something like this at school but he has at practices and places like that." Toni explains. "Is there anything at home that might have made him act out?" He ask quietly. Toni and I look at each other. I shrug. "You're closer with him!" I say. "Umm... not trying to put blame on anyone but the kid probably did something to provoke him. I'm not saying who started it! Because I don't know, but he was definitely provoked." She says trying to be reasonable. "He won't hurt anyone unless he is. We'll get the the bottom of it."

TONI POV:

I knock on Jason and Tommy's room. They are twins and both boys so we thought it would be easier if they just shared a room. "Come in." I slowly walk in. "Tom I have to talk to Jason can you go downstairs for a bit?" He nods, grabs his laptop and walks out. I look at Jason who has a black eye and busted lip. "Why would you hit someone?" I ask quietly. "Because he was being mean!" Jason says quietly. "About what?" I sit on his bed. "Some stupid jock thought I was being annoying." He whispers. "Jason?" He doesn't look at me. "I don't want to talk about it!" He says quietly. "You know we don't have any other choice." I whisper. He nods. "Can you just tell me?" I ask concerned. He sighs. "Mom please? Not right now!" He begs. "I'm not leaving you until you tell me." I say leaning against the wall. I wait for 20 minutes until Jason gives in. "One of the football assholes called Tommy something I can't repeat." He confesses. "I said that it was offensive and we should know better and he have me shit." He says. "I didn't start the fight. He pushed me and I had enough and punched him as he started to try and hit me." He explains. "I'm sorry. It was self defense honestly." I nod. "You get that from me. Not saying it's right! But it's ok, not saying you should just punch people but if you were defending yourself or someone else I get it." He nods. "You said I get it from you. How do you not punch people?" He ask quietly. I shrug. "Enough times to the police station helped. Luckily mom knows me and if she doesn't here from me after the second time she calls me I'm probably at the police station. Hasn't happened in a while!" I whisper. "You're a good person! Don't go around punching who you want." He smiles. "I won't." He whisper. I kiss the top of his head. "What did the kid do?" I ask again. "He said something that I can't repeat because I can't physically say it." He whispers. "How bad?" I ask. He looks down. "Was it offensive towards his sexuality?" Jason shakes his head. "Me and mom?" He shakes his head again. "Race?" He nods. "I don't want to repeat it. I don't know why anyone would say anything that offensive!" He gets mad. "Because no one should say that! But next time you here someone say whatever they said, don't punch them! Just yell at them." I explain. "I did and we both ended up with black eyes and 2 week suspension." He says playing with his shirt. "I wanted him to pay." I nod. "He will, but you need to let me and mom take care of it. Ok?" He nods. I kiss the top of his head. "Did he say what I think he said?" I ask quietly. He nods. "Like, I don't know why he said it because the kid was white and thinks Post Malone is the best rapper ever. He doesn't suck! But he's not the best rapper! I don't get it that's all." I nod. "I know."

"You let one of your students get away with calling my son the N word?" I yell storming into the principles office. "I'm sorry?" He ask looking at me. "The kid that my son Jason beat up called my son other son Thomas a Nigger. That's not ok! That shouldn't be tolerated! That can't be tolerated!" I yell at him. "I'm sorry about that. We added any other week plus a month of detention to Mr. Jefferson's punishment." He tells me. "You are going to lesson the punishment on my son and I want a verbal apology from the kid for both of my kid and you will make sure that kid never speaks to either of my kids again. And I want that kid off the football team!" I tell him. "You can still suspend Jason because he did punch someone, but he's coming back to school no matter what." I whisper. "I will make sure that is done." He says writing everything down. "Now if you would excuse me, I'm gonna take Tommy out for the rest of the day." I tell him. "That's ok."

"Why did you take me out of school today?" Tommy ask quietly after eating his fries. "Well. You know Jason was suspended-." He interrupts me. "He already told me what happened." I look at him. "And?" I take a deep breath. "I just don't get it. I don't really know how I feel about it." He shrugs. "I'm just kinda mad." He whispers. "Well, he's being punished for what he did." He nods. "I- I know. Just promise me you won't go all Mama bear?" I bite my lip. "Too late." I whisper. "Mom!" I take his hands. "I'm sorry! You know I had to." He nods. "I just have one question." I nod. "Why when mom had me and Jason, we came out completely different, personality and physically?" He ask quietly. "I really don't know, science is weird." He smiles. "You and Jason are 2 amazing and beautiful kids! You're honestly the best kids I could ever imagine. People are shitty, they do shitty things! But it's ok! Because you're stronger than that!" I tell him. He nods. "I'm sorry you had to go through that." I whisper.

I sit next to Cheryl. "What's wrong?" I ask her. "I just can't believe someone would say what they said to our kid." She whispers. I nod. "I know. We're gonna figure this out." I whisper. "I'm kinda glad Jason spoke up." She says quietly. "Do I think he should have punched the kid? No! But it's Jason, he protects Tom." I nod in agreement. "I'm just worried about him, both of them actually." I whisper. She shrugs. "They're ok. I think." She smiles. I pull her into a kiss. "Yeah."