54 | Time Will Tell

Danielle's POV 

"This is nothing to what you have done to me, Danielle."  That words keep replaying on my mind that I did not even noticed the police are here not until someone shook me while calling my name.

"Danielle! Are you okay?" I saw Lorcan in front of me looking so frantic while shaking me body softly.

I was still in dazed, I was just looking at him while he was being so frantic. I felt Caiden's presence beside me so I looked at him, he sighed then took Lucas' body whom I forgot for a while. I did not even knew Lucas was still leaning on me.

I saw Caiden's mouth moving but I still can't seem to hear it. I was there physically but not mentally. My mind was still on what Brina said.

That was the first time she called me Danielle. The first time she looked at me with so much anger in her eyes. The first she push me away.

She did not even let me explain but I knew her. I understand. I need to understand her. This is really my fault. If only I was strong enough to fight back and if only I was able to see the truth earlier.

I tried fighting back but I was indebted to them — to Lopez Family. I am adopted. They were the one who took care of me even though I have this kind of disease, they did not gave up on me. They were the reason I am able to live until now. If not for them, I was long dead.

So I was caught up in the moment when my brother, Jack, asked me or should I say, forced me to tell about Z.

He hired an underground hacker to investigated me. He found out I knew who Z is, as they hacked through our online diary. 'Our' because it is my and my friend whom I haven't met in so long. The one I asked Z, to find.

Although I never indicated Z's real identity on it, my brother forced me. He used his friend, Samael and Lucas to guilt trip me — to blackmail me.

He even hurt me just to fish out information but I still did not budge. That continues on for a while not until after the second round of tournament. He became much more violent — he became a monster. I was too late to realized that.

They kidnapped me and Lucas but was locked up in different places. Me with Samael, while Lucas with him.

That's where I knew they are up to something. I knew Samael would not hurt me but I am afraid of my brother now. He was a totally different person I knew when I was a child. He was eaten by his grudge that he became a monster now.

I keep trying in convincing Samael to stop my brother but he kept his ears closed. I still did not gave up, I kept convincing him not until he hurt me. He beat me up so that I would not talk about it anymore.

That's when I knew that people really change. Samael was always gentle to me and would never hurt me. My brother was always caring to me and would never let someone hurt me. But they changed.

Ironically, they were the ones who hurt me the most.

The very next day that happened, I immediately escaped. I ran not for my life but for my friends' life. I realized what were they planning to do. I asked a stranger to borrow her phone then texted Cadmus whom I knew can help me. Then I go to the place where my brother is. If he were going to take revenge, it must be the same place that holds the most memories of them — Lopez' Mansion.

I never bothered what I looked like, I just want to go there before it is too late. When I saw the old mansion, I immediately ran towards it. But before I can catch up my breath, the door suddenly opened and I saw the person I don't want to lose — Brina.

She walked passed me but I grabbed her wrists before saying, "Brina, I'm sorr—"

But she cut me off by saying with a sharp voice, "If saying sorry would make everything alright, what are laws and police for?"

Then she push away my hold before walking out. She stopped when we heard the police sirens, that's when I knew I did something wrong again.

She abruptly turned towards me then talked furiously, "You called them? Why? Are you that eager to exposed me? To make me fall?"

"No! That's not true! I called them because you are in danger!" I said in panic tone as I don't want her to think of me so badly.

She laughed before saying, "And who do you think put me in danger?"

I was confused to hear that as I did not told my brother about her being Z! But if it is telling Cadmus that she was in danger, then it is my fault.

"I know it's my fault! I ran here to tell you this so you can escape! I am sorry Brina, I was—", I said while crying.

"Save your excuses." she coldly said then gave Lucas to me. That's where I knew she was slipping away, and I feared that.

My thoughts was forgotten when I saw her shoulder bleeding! I exclaimed with worry, "You are bleeding!"

She stopped upon hearing me but spoke without looking back, "This is nothing to what you have done to me, Danielle"

That broke my heart but I knew I was in no place to feel this. I am sure what Brina felt was worse than me. But still, I asked her in almost whispered voice, "Y-you'll stay right?"

She stopped again then looked at me with anger, "If you are worried of me not doing my promise to you, then don't worry."

"I seldom make promises but when I do, I make sure to do it until the end."

"N-no, that's not it. I-I don't w-want to l-lose you", I said with my voice cracking as I am trying to fight back my cries.

She looked at me with blank face for a while then turned around. Seeing her do that, I did not try to fight by my cries now. I cried harder as I thought I would really lose her as that's what her silent says so.

But she spoke without looking at me, although it was whispered, I still heard it, "Time will tell."

Then I saw her back slowly fading away from the distance. Her answer did not gave me an specific answer nor assurance. But at least there was still a chance, a hope. And no matter how little it is, I will grab that hope.

I was brought back from my memories as I heard Lorcan's voice louder, "Danielle!"

I blinked my eyes fast to regain my focus then looked at him but before I can speak he spoke again, "You have been staring nowhere for a while. Are you okay?"

I simply nodded my head before looking around. I saw police people all over the place, investigating and looking for other necessary evidences.

As I completely processed the situation, I immediately asked Lorcan, "Did they caught my brother?"

"Brother?" Caiden asked me confused so I explained, "The man who caused this, is my brother."

"They caught him and they are on the way to the station now" Lorcan said in an assurance voice. 

Silence passed for a minute before Cadmus asked me the question I wish to never hear, "Where's Brina?"

I closed my eyes trying to fight back my tears before speaking,

"Time will tell."

───── ❝ 𝐏𝐮𝐫𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐁𝐲𝐊𝐫𝐱𝐬 ❞ ─────

Borahae!

💜💜💜💜💜💜

𝙿𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚎 𝚍𝚘 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚐𝚎𝚝 𝚝𝚘 𝙑𝙤𝙩𝙚, 𝘾𝙤𝙢𝙢𝙚𝙣𝙩, 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙎𝙝𝙖𝙧𝙚!