FIFTY-FOUR

Ochanya

We all forgot about the vacation we came to Ibadan for and we hit the road. The journey to benue state isn't a few hours journey but i didn't mind, all I knew is I need to see my parent and be sure they are okay. My dad told me a story about the first child he had with my mom, when the baby died, he told me my mother almost lost her mind, it's when she realized she's carrying onyela that she started getting herself back which made it seem like she loves onyela much more than the rest of her children. My father told me how much a child's death affects my mom.

“I hope she's okay!” I mumbled as my voice shook.

“Calm down Ochanya, everyone will be alright” Tobi comforted me as he held my hand and I nodded, hoping it is so.

****

6:32pm
October 30th, 2024

My heart kept beating fast as we drove around my community towards my father's house. The community has really changed, the road has been tiled and there are less bushes everywhere, borehole has been drilled for water and everyone now fetches tapwater, huge house like mansions are  built, it's few but there are obvious changes in the community.

When we got close to my father's house, I saw that it had been fenced and repainted. The driver honked and after few minutes, the gate was opened. The car was driven into the compound and I saw my two little sister, Ema and Obiye outside coming towards the car, probably to find out who their guests are, they can't see us cos the windows of the car are tinted. My face lit up when I saw how much they've grown, they are fourteen and they are almost as tall as I am.

“Wow, your sisters are just as pretty as you are” Alia said with a huge smile which made me smile.

“you should go down before they start getting scared of who drove into their compound without revealing their identity” Leonard said and I felt my legs get weak.

“You think they'll be happy to see me?” I asked nervously.

“Of course, they are your sisters” just as Tobi said that, I saw onyela come out of the house. She has really changed, she's now chubby and prettier than before.

“Ema, who's that?” onyela asked.

“We don't know ooo, they drove in and refused to come out ooo” Ema and Obiye chroused. I've always known them to be that way since birth, that's their twin magic.

I slowly opened the door and got out of the car. My sisters eyes widened and they screamed my name, they screamed loudly that I got scared myself. Onyela ran towards and touched me.

“Ochanya, is this really you?” onyela asked as she shook.

“Yes it's me ochanya, it's me” I said amidst tears.

“you're alive, ochanya is alive!” my sisters screeched happily. Then I saw my mother run out of the house. She froze when she saw me.

“Mama!” I called as I ran closer to her, I stopped when I saw my father coming behind her adjusting his glasses. He also froze when he saw me. Then I remembered the last thing he said to me.

***
Enough of me harboring another man's wife! You've disgraced me enough, look at me! A whole chief, my daughter is pregnant unmarried" my father wailed

***

Papa!” I said happily. My parents are in good health. I waited for few minutes for them to say something that I almost thought, they are not happy to see me.

“My daughter!” I heard my mother say. My father came closer.

“Ochanya, is this you or someone is playing a cruel joke on me?” he asked as his voice shook. He slowly took my hand.