FORTY SIX

Ochanya

“what are you doing here?” Alia shot at me as she saw me enter the lobby.

“Calm down Alia, I called her here” Tobi said as he stopped her from charging at me.

“This is not the time to bring up whatever issue you two have Alia, my wife! Your sister is in there in labour, trying to give birth to our child so I suggested we focus on that and not try to make a scene” Ben said angrily.

“Maybe I should ju... Just go” I said. I have no intention to make the place uncomfortable.

“No! You're staying and I don't mind tying you down if I have to, Claudia requested for your presence” Ben said so I nodded.

I found an empty seat in the lobby so I sat and made sure I didn't make any eye contact with Alia or Tobi. I silently prayed for Claudia to have a safe delivery.

I sat quietly without looking around. I couldn't stop fidgeting as my fingers trembled continuously. I was scared, as I prayed for Claudia to have her baby safely without contradictions.

After a while, the doctor came out and informed us about the situation.

“All effort to make the expecting mom have a normal delivery has proved abortive, the baby's positioning is abnormal and it's risky, I suggest we perform Caesarean section on the patient” the door said.

“What? No! Claudia wants a normal delivery, is there no other way to go about this?” Ben said

“Okay, we'll try again to see if we can get the baby to a normal position in the next six hours, if not we'll have to bring the baby out” the doctor said and left. I saw a nurse going to the room Claudia is so I followed.

“Excuse me nurse, can I see her for a minute?” I asked as I followed.

“yeah, sure” she replied.

As I entered where Claudia was, I couldn't control myself as I burst into tears.
“Claudia! How come? You saw each other just few hours ago” I said as I rushed towards her and sat on her bed.

“As I got out of the car when I got home, my water broke so I was brought here, what did the doctor say about my baby?” she asked with pain evident in her voice.

“Your baby is fine Claudia, I just need you to listen to the doctors and do as they say” I said as I massaged her legs they way I used to when she was at home.

“I'm trying, I'm tired and I just want to sleep” she said

“No! no! No sleeping Claudia, you need to bring the baby out” I said.

“I will, tell the doctor to come back so we can try again” she said and i rushed out

After a whole lot of therapy, the doctors managed to change the baby's position but Claudia was already exhausted and can barely push.

After a lot of motivational speech from Ben, Claudia got a little strength and she had her baby girl hale and hearty.

It was a very happy day for everyone of us.

The doctor asked what the baby's name is

“Her name is Mirabel Adams” Ben said as he stared happily at his first child.

On the third day, Claudia seem better and in few hours, she'll be discharged. I went out of her private ward to make some calls to Claudia friends and colleagues so they can know she's has put to bed. When I got back, I saw Alia alone in the private ward with claudia.

“oh! Sorry... I'll wait outside” I said and tried to leave.

“Yes please, stay outside!” Alia shot at me.

“No! Come here ochanya!” Claudia stopped me and I reluctantly went forward, she took both our hands.

“Both of you are my sisters and I need you both to settle your differences. Listen Alia, don't let your anger control you, you need to be calm and not mean, remember it's ochanya we are talking about here” Claudia said calmly, she seem really tired.

“Very good Claudia!” Alia said rudely as she snatched her hand from Claudia. “Ochanya did such a terrible thing to me and you're taking her side? You know I've been expecting you to say something about this after I told you about it yesterday, but you didn't, you insisted on hearing from ochanya first, Are you trusting her word than mine? You think I'm the wrong one here? Why are you not reprimanding her for what she did? Why am I the villain in this story?” she trailed off, all effort Claudia made for Alia to slow down failed.

“Enough!” Claudia yelled with frustration.

“I'm the eldest here and I get to say who's wrong and who's right! Now I want you both to go home and both settle your differences else I don't want to see any of your faces!” Claudia said angrily and Alia scoffed.

“I understand, you won't have to see my face big sissy, have a nice life with your new sister, the one you just chose over me!” Alia said and walked out. I just stood there awkwardly as tears fell uncontrollably from my eyes. I felt like I'm meant to cause destruction everywhere I go.

“This is all my fault! I'm so sorry!” I said amidst tears. Claudia sighed.

“It's not your fault, I know Alia well enough, just give her few days, she'll come around, if you know the number of times she has disowned me in the past, what she said will no longer have any meaning to you” Claudia said with a smile which got me confused.

“But she just_” I tried to say.

“She just bluffed ochanya, it's nothing” Claudia said.

Even though what just happened shook me, Claudia seems unconcerned about it. After few hours Claudia got discharged from the hospital. Since Alia left, I made sure I was there for Claudia, Tobi showed up few times from the day Claudia was in labour but I avoided him as much as I can.

Claudia convinced me in moving in with her till Alia comes around. I called Aunt bimbo, to pick some clothes for me and bring it for me without Alia knowing. I don't want to infuriate her with my presence so I stayed away.