EIGHTEEN👑

Song of the chapter: Don't call me back
By: Joeboy ft Mayorkun

As I got into the compound, I wiped my tears and wore a fake smile. I entered and I saw Claudia walking down the stairs.

"Claudia!" I screamed excitedly and rushed towards her.

"Today's Thursday" I said

"Yeah, I took today and tomorrow's off, I need rest, so have you seen your result?" she asked.

"No, I think it should be out, let me check" I said as we sat. I logged in to the jamb portal and entered my registration number.

I was agitated as I waited for it to load. The page that has my result came and I scrolled down with shaky hands. If I fail this exam, education is over for me.

Even though I'm sure of what I wrote, I can't help but be scared that jamb will let me down, my sister Onyela tried jamb thrice before she finally got admission in university of Benin.

"What are you thinking? Scroll up!" Claudia said and I scrolled up and closed my eyes tight.

"What did I score!?" I asked Claudia.

"Oh my God!" Claudia exclaimed and my heart sank. "Your score is freaking good!" She said excitedly and I opened my eyes and saw 258points out of 400 and let out a sigh of relieve

***

When Alia got back, I told her about my score. They were all happy I made it.

I decided not to tell anyone about Leonard, they will only lecture me about staying away from men.

Nevertheless, Leonard never stopped calling or texting me. I blocked him on whatsapp and I ignored his calls. After a while he stopped calling.

The post utme form for Lagos state university came out and I applied for it. Alia is also a student there, she's in her third year. Even though she barely attends classes, I can't blame her tho, she's a celebrity and has a a lot of responsibilities.

I sat for the post utme and the result came out few weeks after. The admission list came out and I saw my name.

The happiness was overwhelming. Never did I think I'll go to school again. I'm sure if I had stayed back in my father's house, they'd have gotten me married to okwo since he made them believe we've been in a secret relationship and we've had sex multiple times. I wonder how my father is, I'm sure they've given up on the search for me. They wouldn't imagine me to be in Lagos of all place. I just hope they are all okay.

''Ochanya, what are you doing? We're waiting for you downstairs!'' Alia jerked me out of my thoughts, since I got admission, my new family threw a small party for me.

''I'll be down in a jiffy'' i said and she came inside instead of leaving.

''What's wrong ochanya? Your facial expression isn't good'' she said.

''I'm okay'' I said and let out a small smile. She sighed and sat me down.

''Tell me, what's wrong?'' She asked.

''Nothing... Nothing serious, just that I miss my family, I wonder how they are feeling, my sisters, my father, my mother, I miss them and i wish they are here to celebrate with me.

''Errrm... Ochanya, you do realise you have the choice of going home to see them?'' She asked

''Yes, but...'' I tried to say but she cuts in

''No but ochanya, if you want I can take you to see your family for clarification that you are alive, your picture is all over internet, they are searching for you, just let me take you to them and let them know you are safe and fine, then you can come back with me and live your life'' she said.

''My father won't leave any of his daughter for a stranger to look after, he won't let me come back! And what next? Get married to okwo? Or just continue to live in shame? You don't know my father Alia! You need to see the hatred I saw in his eyes when he thought I was pregnant, it will continue if I go back and.... and...and I can't bear it'' I said.

''It's alright babe, everything will be alright,
I stand with any decision you make, now cheer up and let's go celebrate'' she said cheerfully and I smiled.

I followed her downstairs where i met Claudia and her boyfriend Ben, khaddie and a few other ladies I met in Alia's company, and lastly Tobi.

“Congratutions dear” Alia's staff greeted .

“You did it girl! I'm so happy for you, I wish you all the best”khaddie said.

“Why are you guys making this seem like a fucking convocation? Is getting admitted into university a thing to celebrate?” Tobi asked snottily as he picked a magazine

“Of course it can't be a thing to celebrate for a deputy governor's son who has everything he wants anytime he wants it, I wish we were all privileged so it won't be a thing to celebrate” I said and he glared at me.

We kept glaring at each until we heard clinging of cup.

“why don't we drink to this awkward moment? Cheers!!!” Alia said as he pulled me far away from Tobi.

“And to ochanya's success!!!” Claudia said, we ate, drank, had fun and called it a night. Not without trying my possible best to ignore that jerk called Tobi.