FIFTY-THREE

Ochanya

"Ochie!" I froze as I heard a familiar voice call behind me. Only one person person calls me that, only the man I hate most in the world calls me that, only the last man I want to see calls me. I slowly turned to face the person hoping it's not who I think it is.

My eyes widened and I froze as I saw him.

"Okwo!" I muttered.

"Ochie! Ochie! I thought you were dead!" he said as he rushed towards me and held my hands. He was wearing a receptionist uniform, he doesn't look unkempt like he used to, his beards are well trimmed, his hair is barbed in a low cut, he was well dressed.

"Okwo!" I said again as I shook.

"Wait! What's going on? Is this the man that..." Tobi asked as he took my hand from okwo and stood in between us. I was too shocked to speak, I glanced at Tobi with my teary eyes and stormed off. I took the key to I and Tobi's room and stormed off.

Tears blinded me as I searched for room 4B, my body shook as I remembered how Okwo turned my life upside down and drove a wedge between my family and I. I saw the room and opened it, I rushed into the bathroom and locked my self in. I burst into an uncontrollable tears.

I wept as I remembered everything that has happened in the last four years.

I cried heavily that my head threatens to retreat if I cry more.

"Ochanya!" I heard Tobi's voice calling. His voice got more bold each time he gets near. Until he reached the bathroom door. He must have heard my sob cos his voice went down.

"Ochanya, please open the door and let's talk about this" he said calmly and I sat up and put my knees close to my chest to silence my sobs. Tobi pleaded the more for me to open the door and after a while, i stood up and slowly opened the door. Tobi sighed when he saw me, he pulled me closer and hugged me. I felt comforted as he hugged me and i felt better. He sat me down and wiped my tears with his handkerchief, apparently my mascara has ran down my face.

"It's okay ochanya, everything will be fine" he said as he wiped my tears.

"Where... where is he?" i asked.

"He's downstairs, Alia has called the law enforcement, we are going to get justice for you ochanya" Tobi said assuringly.

"I need to talk to him" i said calmly and stood up.

"Are you sure?" he asked and i nodded. He took my hand and went to the reception. Where leonard and Alia are holding Okwo captive in a reserved corner till the law enforcement reaches.

His face lit up when he saw me. He doesn't even look like he'd run.

"Ochie" he said as his voice shook in between. I sat in front of him as i stared at him.

"Ochie, i'm sorry" he said as he sobbed silently. He couldn't look me in the eye.

"Okwo, how are my parents? how is onyela? Is she married" i asked curiously.

"I don't know ochanya, i don't know anything" he replied and i got confused.

"Why won't you know? What happened?" I asked.

"Af... After I was released from the police station, I thought I had gotten away with what I did but it was later I found out, the story had circulated round the community, my conscience started pricking me as people spoke ill about you, they started calling you names and it was then that I realized that I've tarnished the image of your family. So... So i waited for you at all the spot I used to wait for you for several days to express how sorry I am, but you never showed up. After few weeks, you were declared missing, I started losing my mind, I knew it was all my fault, all efforts to find you proved abortive, after few months, a decomposed body was found on a deserted land close to the highway, the body had decayed beyond recognition and we all assumed it was you cos no other child was missing in the community, your parent said that the clothes you wore the last time they saw you resembled what the decayed body had on. So we all believed you were dead and you committed suicide cos a rope was found around the dead body's neck" he explained and I froze in shock.

"They thought I died?" I asked as i fought the urge not to cry.

"Yes, I felt responsible for your assumed death, I started having haunting nightmares, I couldn't live with myself so I went to your father and I told him the truth, he wept. The chief wept after I told you him truth. I thought he'd have me arrested but he didn't, instead he's told me to leave the community and never return, he banished me and warned me to never return else he'll have to kill me himself so I came to Ibadan to start a new life and atone for my atrocities" he said and cried. He knelt and held my legs.

"Please Ochie, please forgive me, please I beg of you, I'll willingly go with the police when they get here, all I need is for you to sincerely forgive me" he pleaded as he held my feet firmly. I shut my eyes tight to stop myself from crying. Alia sat beside me and patted me, I looked at her and i smiled at her.

"If you want I'll withdraw my complaint and stop the cops from coming" she said and i nodded so she walked away, probably to go make the call.

"I forgive you Okwo, I hope you have a good life" I said as I stood up.

"Thank you, thank you Ochie, thank you" he said gratefully and I just walked away.

"Do you still want to stay here at all?" Leonard asked worriedly.

"No.... No but there's somewhere I'd love to be as soon as i can" I replied.

"Where is that?" Alia asked.

"Benue state, in my community" I replied.