Consolation

WHITE

I'm going to die.

I've felt this way a multiple times before, but I've never felt this sure as I just helplessly watch the knife raise above my head. There's nowhere to escape.

And there's no way I can fight back.

Then a sharp, familiar cry echoes from my right, and my eyes go the biggest they've ever been.

"Not happening!"

"Shut up." I hear Morning hiss, and I nearly collapse then and there from relief. Jin comes behind the large man who'd about to kill me, his fist drawn back.

His bare fist.

The man laughs mockingly, blocking him easily. But then a devilish smile splits Jin's face, and I swallow in realization.

His Blessing.

But I'm shocked at how fast it affects the man. A purple cloud blooms on his skin the moment they touch, and in a second, he's crumpled to the ground.

Extreme poison. Super extreme poison.

"Broke the Arena Rules, huh?" Morning grips my shoulders, something like a smile flickering on her thin lips. "It's what I expected of you."

The Blessed seem to be in shock, until the Emperor suddenly yells loudly.

"Get them! What in the hell are you doing just standing there?!"

Jin quickly rushes behind me, his gloves tugged back on as he lifts V into his arms. He'd gone unconscious again, his body slack and his face pale.

Eager to earn points from the Emperor, some of the Blessed start to attack. But then Morning takes her hands off my shoulders. Her entire body's flaring white, a different kind of white from mine.

Then she closes her eyes, and a force field surrounds the four of us. The attacks are completely harmless against her immunity, and I look at her in surprise when she stands up and fixes her burning gaze on the Emperor.

"What did you tell them to make them follow you?"

"I said get them!" His face is completely red now, pointing his fingers furiously at us. "You can't even take down a simple force field? I can't believe—"

"Why are you following him?" Morning tilts her head at the Blessed, seeming to think that they were all so pathetic. "He doesn't even have a Blessing to begin with."

My stare instantly turns to the man, who'd seemed so powerful.

Not— a Blessed?

Everyone's looking at him, and he looks at a loss for words before screaming again at them to take care of us. But now nobody's moving.

"Non-Blessed aren't supposed to rule." Someone pipes up, and then everything twists into chaos. Before it would've looked like we'd need a miracle to get out of here alive, but now it looks like a piece of cake.

A smile splits Morning's lips.

_________________________

A day later

"Ow! Dammit!"