Demoiselle

WHITE

"My mentor sucks."

Siren taps me warningly on my shoulder, her deep blue eyes firm. The pain from his hands still burned dull in my flesh, and I chew my lip in annoyance.

"Hush." She scolds, righting my position. "That language was inappropriate— and don't talk that way about V. He might just rip you head to toe."

"Well, it's true." I huff, growling like a baby lion as I try to copy her graceful curtsy. "He's a jerk."

"You're hopeless, White." Siren rolls her eyes and says when I stumble, barely righting myself and the puffy gown she'd made me wear.

"And if you want to come out alive in the Trials at three months' time, you better treat your mentor better than this."

"That's what's so stupid— what am I supposed to do with a Blessing that heals? Heal the other person to death?"

Siren shrugs.

"Not sure." She says, and I sigh heavily as she finishes the boring manner lesson with a sweep of her elegant dress. "Hopefully we'll have better progress tomorrow."

"I don't really know about that." I reply sullenly, but she's already disappeared out the door.

Disappointment flits through me— it was boring here without anyone to talk to. There was nothing ever to do in the Palace, even if they seemed to have everything.

An idea flickers in my head.

Pushing my bare feet into warm slippers, I pad outside of the room. It's slightly cooler out in the halls, and I make my way to the top of the Palace.

I should've just gone somewhere else.

After climbing a ridiculous amount of stairs and nearly killing my lungs off, I reach the balcony at the very topmost area of the building.

Breaths rushed and skin feeling hot with exertion, I begin to push the door when I realize that it's already been opened.

A chill runs up my spine.

Don't tell me there was someone here.

Quieting my leaping heart, I press my eyes to the small crack in the doorway to glimpse a familiar silhouette.

It's V.

Dammit.

He's leaned against the tall railing, shoulders relaxed as he touches a blade of grass that had managed to grow through the slits made on the ground.

It withers away to ash, and I swallow as he pulls his hand back. I still can't see his face, but I don't have to to see that he seems sad.

I really shouldn't be here.

Somehow, watching him sink to the ground with a sigh on his lips feel like I'm invading his privacy. As if I'd stepped into something really personal.

I'm about to turn back when I suddenly hear a familiar, annoying voice.

"V— always on time, as usual."