The Forests

WHITE

"What?!"

"I-I'm so sorry!" Rell cries, her cheeks flushed with shame. "I was just looking at it, and then suddenly this man—"

"Who!" Morning shouts, her silver eyes panicked. I've only seen her panic once before, and I bite my lip harshly when I realize just how important that was to her.

"He had red hair! And everything else he was wearing black— he started running towards the direction of the forests...." She tears up again, her eyes flickering at Morning's stormy expression. "I'm sorry."

"I'm going to find that damn bastard." She hisses, and I quickly turn to Rell when she rushes off, curses flowing out of her lips like water.

"I'm going to go help her find the person who stole her necklace, okay? Stay right here."

And then I start pumping my legs, following Morning's dark, fast figure. She's heading for the forest, and I try to even my breathing as I run as fast as I can go. I couldn't lose her back.

My lungs are about to explode when we reach the outskirts, where there's barely any people. And then I hear Morning shout, and look up to see a person dressed all black.

He looks up in surprise, and I can clearly see the color of his hair.

Red.

"Stop right there, dammit!" She calls, voice still vicious even if mine's all scratchy and broken from running so much. "I'm going to run a knife through your damn face!"

By the time he gets to his feet, Morning is on him. There's practically nobody here— and I'm worried that she'll actually kill him.

"Where is it." She's growling when I finally get to them, breathing in rapid gasps of breath. Shaking, he throws the necklace chain towards her.

"Just take it! I don't care!"

""F***** b***." She curses one more time, her face furious as the man runs off. I fall back to the ground with a deep sigh, still catching my breath. "I swear if I wasn't already so damn tired I'd rip his hand from his arm."

I laugh weakly, my eyes blinking. I wasn't sure if she was actually joking or not— I never could be.

But then a shrill scream comes from the direction that the man had run to, and both of our eyes flash towards his way. Morning instantly pulls me up to my feet while I'm still too frozen to even act.

"Run!"

It's a massive winter boar. My eyes go wide in terror when it crashes straight at the man, and then Morning tugs me harshly.

"Forest!" I gasp, never running as fast as I'm doing right now. It's coming for us now, and I've honestly never been more terrified than this in my life. "There's trees there! It can't run through trees, right?!"

"I don't know." She says, and I swallow as I follow her steps. I can't even feel my exhaustion now— too busy pumping my legs. "Get behind!"

I suck in a fast breath when she pulls on my arm, and I stumble back behind a tree. My face is completely drained with fear when it crashes into the tree trunk next to the one she'd pulled me behind, where I'd been a second ago.

And for a dizzying second, I actually meet eyes with it.

"Come on! It's stuck." She says, glaring at the boar's horns. But it's already halfway free, and we rush deeper into the forest where the trees are growing more thickly together.