Test Trial

WHITE

I wake up, expecting the usual excited voice of Mira hurrying around my room and asking me what I wanted for breakfast.

But when I rub my eyes free of sweet sleep and kick my legs to stretch them, I don't see her at all. Instead, I hear a soft, even breathing and a smirking voice that sounds awfully familiar.

"Now you decide to wake up?"

I almost burst into a string of curses then and there.

"What are you doing here—" I begin to hiss when he puts a finger to his lips, amused eyes flickering to the spot next to me. When I follow his gaze, my mouth parts in shock.

"Dammit."

V's unconscious figure lies heavily next to me, and I scramble off the bed in surprise. And the first thing I do when I get up is to get a fistful of Jimin's collar and start shaking the life out of him.

"You dumb idiot." I say stiffly, the sleep gone from my panicked eyes. "What in the world did you do? What in the world did I do to faint?"

"Nothing." He shrugs, counting on his fingers. "You seriously don't remember knocking yourself out after insisting to overwhelm yourself last night? Besides, I don't even know where your room is, so I just let you sleep here next to V."

"Did we touch?"

"Guess not, because none of you guys are whining like someone's choking the life out of you right now."

"Can't you just stop talking for once?" I hiss under my breath, kicking my feet as I almost rush out of the room before he can see my angry blush and tease me even more.

What just happened?

Sucking in air, I hurry down the steps and half-sprint to my room. When I slam the door open, Mira curses as she drops her entire tray of breakfast.

"Sorry." I say sheepishly, and she crosses her arms as she waves at the open bathroom door.

Then her eyes narrow.

"Where were you?" She asks suspiciously at my messy hair and rumpled clothes. Then her eyes go wide, and I roll my eyes as she blocks her mouth with her hand.

"No."

"Yeah, no." My answer comes out sarcastically, and she raises an eyebrow. "I'm serious— no, I'd never do what you're thinking right now."

Before she can ask any more questions, I hurry into the bathroom and slip out of my nightdress. The rose-scented water is warm against my skin as I relax, eyes flickering towards the door.

"Oh." Mira suddenly pokes her head through the doorway, like I'd been expecting her to. But she says something completely different than what I'd pictured in my mind.

"By the way, your first Test Trial is today."

And I nearly fall out of the bathtub.

"What?" I yell at the top of my lungs, and Mira bites her lip and gives me a worried look.

"Your Test Trial." She repeats, slower this time. "You know, when you get randomly assigned a Blessed to fight with...?"

"I don't know how to fight!"

"It's okay." She says, but the tone of her voice doesn't really show that anything's okay at all. "It's not like the real Trials. Just practice— no death to win."