Silver Lights

WHITE

When I stagger into Winter Wing the next day with a vicious cramp in both my leg and feet, V doesn't even give me a single glance.

I blush furiously, recalling yesterday when I'd fallen unconscious in front of the entire Council of Blessed.

"Sorry." I mutter, and he finally gives me a look. "That was probably embarrassing for you, right? Yesterday at the Dinner."

When he says nothing and turns back to whatever he's doing, a spark of anger rushes up my spine.

I don't hesitate for another second after that, marching right up to him and staring at his cold green eyes.

"Say something."

But he doesn't, and my emotions spill out of me like a waterfall. That moment, there's nothing I want to do more than rip his calm expression in half.

And then my body glows.

Not just my hands, but my entire body.

Then V suddenly grips my bare wrist, his eyes calculative when I rip his hand off. Fire burns in my stomach, furious at him for just being so unemotional. Even now his expression is nothing but cold and objective.

Then he suddenly pulls me into his arms, and I lose all words at the tight feeling of his hands wrapped around my waist.

He— what?!

And then he shoves me away, stare not fixed on my surprised eyes but instead lingering on my body. The silver wisps that had been rolling off my skin is now gone.

"Your Blessing." He suddenly says, voice rough in his throat. "It can be used to protect you as well— nullification, something like that. That didn't hurt just now, did it?"

Red flushes my cheeks.

Of course.

"No." I force out, bitterness lacing my words as I try to force the stinging tears to go back. "That didn't hurt."

Wow.

Did you really think he'd actually done that because he cared about you? He was just testing me out— another part of my Blessing— and I was the one who had taken it completely the wrong way.

He's damn V.

He doesn't care about anyone.

When he makes me sit on the ground again to work on my discipline, I don't move this time. My eyes just stare straight forward, wanting to bang my head in it for even allowing myself to think like that.

"Focus." His voice suddenly comes, frigid like the winter wind. "On your Blessing. Find it, take control."

Screw you.

Now I can't even concentrate, anger and shame bubbling hot in my mouth. Then I finally hear a sigh, and then the rasp of his deep voice.