Hesitation

WHITE

"I thought I already told you to stop touching me, dammit."

"You have no idea how fascinating this is for me right now." Asher grins as he lightly pokes Morning in the forehead, squeaking when she presses the knife harder into his neck.

"Okay— okay!"

With a icy glance in his direction, Morning releases him. Then she turns to walk away, leaving her plate untouched.

"You know, I can explain." Asher begins, blinking his silver eyes at her back. "I haven't touched anyone since I accidentally poisoned—"

The door slams close, and he looks down at the floor. With a depressed look on his face.

He shoots a malicious glare in Jungkook's direction, who's trying to quiet his laughter by eating his hand.

"And who let this kindergartener in my House?"

And I keep watching the door.

"Is V still not here?!" I shout, surprising Jungkook. My hands slam angrily on the table, and I kick the chair for good measure.

I've finally come up with an apology. And now that I was, he wasn't even showing up to dinner that they all had together for what— once a month?

"He usually doesn't show up." Asher laughs, and I grind my teeth together in annoyance. Of course he doesn't— what would have changed?

Crashing up from my seat, I storm out the door. If he was really not coming so he didn't have to see me, I was going to honestly throw him out the window.

When I fling the door open to his room, I stop.

My God.

V's bent over his desk, so low that his dark hair is hanging over his eyes. He's so focused that he doesn't even hear me open the door that loudly.

I freeze, just gaping at him as he struggles over putting together the shattered swan.

I can't even swallow, my throat being all clumped together.

Heart lips squeezed in concentration, he grips another minuscule piece with his slender fingers. The swan is almost completed— and done so well.

And then the piece slips out of place, and a frustrated growl escapes his lips. It hurts more than his Blessing to watch V like this.

Who could anyone love if they couldn't love someone like him?

"Tae."

At the sound of his name, his head snaps up. His deep green eyes blink slowly once— widening with surprise when he sees me.

He gets to his feet so quickly he almost hits the desk.

"White." He breathes, and I close our distance until he's looking right down at me. There's exhaustion everywhere on his face— and I squeeze my fists behind my back.

V avoids my gaze.

"I couldn't find some pieces." He murmurs, looking uncertain. I don't move as he hesitantly brushes a strand of hair over my shoulder. "But—"